more members - more activity

Site Suggestions? Problems with the board? Can't log in? Post here.

more members - more activity

Postby LaughingBoy » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:13 am

i am new to this site but i am already quite fond of it. i chose to come here rather than modmouse because i liked the site design, found the content on the main page to be useful and the forums were small enough to not be intimidating with too many users. that being said these forums seem a bit slow. looking at the member list i notice there are alot of members with no posts. it seems to me that many of these people may have signed up to post something and were confronted with the admin approval requirement and subsequently lost interest. had they been allowed to post immediately after registering they may have found something they liked in the community and stuck around. if the admin approval requirement is designed to deter the Spam bots that seem to plague many phpbb based forums from joining, they could be prevented simply by implementing a decent CAPTCHA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captcha).

in short, i like it here, could use some more activity, admin approval requirements suck.
LaughingBoy

Postby Gregg » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:47 pm

The site has a CAPTCHA, the default phpbb one, which the bots are still getting around. I will look into getting a better one.

The reason I switched to admin approval was that I was sick of logging on every morning and having to delete spam posts. About 9 out of 10 registrations are spammers and since I switched the spam posts have virtually been eliminated.

I'm at work during the week, so any North American registration approval is almost instantaneous. I'm not on that often on weekends and in your case it was a long weekend and I was out of town until that evening, generally I think registration approvals are pretty good.
Gregg
Site Admin

Postby LaughingBoy » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:22 am

i follow ya, im a member on another board that was infiltrated by the spam bots, they are very annoying.
i believe they (the admins of the other board) defeated them by adding a checkbox that simply said \"check this box if you arent a bot\" to the registration page. seemed to work and so long as it doesnt become a default phpbb setting (which it wont, because its so cheesy) the spam bots should be fooled by it.

all this aside, i feel you are doing a great job with the site
LaughingBoy

Return to Suggestions & Technical Assistance