Board is being taken over by spammers

Site Suggestions? Problems with the board? Can't log in? Post here.

Board is being taken over by spammers

Postby jplan74 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:41 pm

I'm sure I'm not the first to notice but I don't need a Russian bride or a cheap Rolex, SO is there a way to stop this before it gets out of hand? Maybe add a captcha to sign up or something?

At some point, there will be Modest Mouse relevance again and we'll want our board! :mrgreen:
jplan74

Re: Board is being taken over by spammers

Postby Gregg » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:00 pm

Sorry guys. Working on it. There are already Modest Mouse related questions as a spam protection when registering, so how bots are getting around that I don't know. Unless it's some guy researching Modest Mouse on wikipedia to create a fake account and spam (seems like a waste of time and energy).

I see there is an update for phpBB, I'm at work at the moment, but will try and get it installed this evening, maybe there's a know security issue that's being exploited at the moment. I am going to switch account registrations to manual as well I think for a few days, so that I have to approve any new user.
Gregg
Site Admin

Postby Gregg » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:07 am

Yeah, they're getting passed the Modest Mouse questions and the reCAPCHA. Manual approval is also not working. I'm going to disable board registrations until further notice, because my inbox is now just filling up with bullshit users waiting to be approved.
Gregg
Site Admin

Postby jplan74 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:00 am

wow that's nuts. well thanks for looking into it, that sucks. lol maybe we can think of something MM-related but more specific that wouldn't be on wikipedia?

i'm not sure what that would be? what kind of taxodermied animals are in Ike's house? lol
jplan74

Postby daebat » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:57 pm

I noticed that my post didn't go through and I am a brand new user. Is this because of spam filtering? Can you approve it please? Thanks!
daebat

Return to Suggestions & Technical Assistance