Bad karaoke nightmare...

All the stupid topics that probably should be deleted.

Bad karaoke nightmare...

Postby Gregg » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:09 pm

In case you haven't heard it, it plays as a backing to this: http://spideygotmolested.ytmnd.com/

It'll make your ears bleed, especially the \"Yeah!\" part...

Edit: I killed the album from the Release section as it's technically a cover
Last edited by Gregg on Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Gregg
Site Admin
 
Posts: 483
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:31 pm
Location: Vancouver

Postby Coop » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:25 pm

dont even bother putting it up there. it makes me lose so much respect for mm
User avatar
Coop
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:15 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Postby Gregg » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:37 pm

I agree, but I doubt they had anything to do with it though. Must be some greedy evil record exec.
User avatar
Gregg
Site Admin
 
Posts: 483
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:31 pm
Location: Vancouver

Postby MajinTrunkz » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:06 pm

I think it's hilarious. Someone on YouTube synced it up with a video of MM playing live from some talk show. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB2yMSYfPWw

But anyway, I don't think MM had anything to do with this. You don't have to get permission to do a cover of a song, you just have to pay the band royalities.
User avatar
MajinTrunkz
 
Posts: 486
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:47 am
Location: SC

Postby Gregg » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:14 pm

I've never understood the rules behind cover songs. I'm sure you need a band's permission if you want to do it, on top of royalties. I know Weird Al has been denied covering songs before.

At the same time, I don't know how Pearl Jam gets away with covering songs on their bootleg cds and not crediting the original artist anywhere in those recycled cases?

That video is classic.
User avatar
Gregg
Site Admin
 
Posts: 483
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:31 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re:

Postby MajinTrunkz » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:24 pm

Gregg wrote:I've never understood the rules behind cover songs. I'm sure you need a band's permission if you want to do it, on top of royalties. I know Weird Al has been denied covering songs before.

Actually, no, he does not have to get permission. He does, though, because he likes to be on good terms with other artists. Like when he did "Amish Paradise", where he thought he had Coolio's permission but when the song was released Coolio had a problem with it. Legally, Coolio could not do anything about it.
User avatar
MajinTrunkz
 
Posts: 486
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:47 am
Location: SC

Postby Gregg » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:32 pm

You're right.

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a1_324b.html

I would think they'd be just as otherwise about covering songs as they are about sampling.
User avatar
Gregg
Site Admin
 
Posts: 483
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:31 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re:

Postby prettybombs » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:08 pm

MajinTrunkz wrote:
Gregg wrote:I've never understood the rules behind cover songs. I'm sure you need a band's permission if you want to do it, on top of royalties. I know Weird Al has been denied covering songs before.

Actually, no, he does not have to get permission. He does, though, because he likes to be on good terms with other artists. Like when he did "Amish Paradise", where he thought he had Coolio's permission but when the song was released Coolio had a problem with it. Legally, Coolio could not do anything about it.
Not sure about that. I remember watching some tv show and the cameras had to be turned off for a cover of a Led Zeppelin song because they didn't have the rights to air it or something like that, but the rest of the concert was shown. Pretty sure covering a song like live and selling an album or a dvd with a cover on it is a totally different thing.
User avatar
prettybombs
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:00 pm

Re: Bad karaoke nightmare...

Postby notjohndoe2 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:45 am

Gregg wrote:In case you haven't heard it, it plays as a backing to this: http://spideygotmolested.ytmnd.com/

It'll make your ears bleed, especially the "Yeah!" part...

Edit: I killed the album from the Release section as it's technically a cover

uhh yeah thats what i said on youtube, and everyone got mad at me, i swear i said the same thing about the yea part
oy its sad
notjohndoe2
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:20 am
Location: Belleville, IL


Return to The Sandbox

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron