Mimicking Birds debut reviewed on Pitchfork

General off-topic socialization, lunacy and mayhem.

Mimicking Birds debut reviewed on Pitchfork

Postby MajinTrunkz » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:41 am

Looks like they like the album, they gave it a 7.4 rating.
http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/140 ... ing-birds/

Mimicking Birds is the spectral folk/home recording project of Portland's Nate Lacy. This, his first full-length under the MB guise, was produced by Modest Mouse's Isaac Brock for the latter's Glacial Pace imprint, a footnote that's actually no footnote at all. In addition to simply signing him, Brock has taken Lacy under his wing in recent years, bringing him along to open Modest Mouse amphitheater tours, and leaving behind audible prints on his studio efforts as well.

Lacy's extremely gifted with cyclical melodies: thorny, fingerpicked spines around which he can snake a range of sounds simply for ambience. He accomplishes a lot of that here by considering a lot of the same moods and midnight tones as Brock did on his masterstroke The Moon & Antarctica or his work in Ugly Casanova. The vocal layers in particular are used as backup instruments, garbled and muffled (see the thunderclapping coda of "New Doomsdays") as though they're being transmitted from other orbits. Yet on openers "Home and Somewhere Else" and the appropriately titled "The Loop", it works because of how close it all feels when streaming through headphones. Whether Lacy's whispering or rasping, purring or stretching out his falsetto, you can hear each inhale and exhale as though you're listening from inside the dude's chest cavity. Lyrically he keeps in time and rhyme with the nature of his picking, the effect just as riveting as it is meditative.

But much of the record's success relies on arrangement in lieu of variety. When Lacy introduces more to the fold, be it floating piano ("10 Percent") or strings ("Cabin Fever") or light horns ("Under and in Rocks"), the results are gorgeous. On the other end of the spectrum, "Them" falls totally flat without a tooth or hook to be found. It's actually a tough, restrictive way to operate as a songwriter, and when he breaks out, he's at his very best. Bookended by elliptical guitars, "Burning Stars" inverts his songwriting steez and blooms into a more traditional pop strummer. It's got great velocity, an achy-breaky melody, a terrific solo and even a few choruses and verses, too. It also doesn't sound like anyone but him.

— David Bevan, March 31, 2010
MajinTrunkz

Re: Mimicking Birds debut reviewed on Pitchfork

Postby Dani » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:43 pm

^^ nice! thanks for posting! Can't wait to listen to it!

too bad I still didn't got my Mimicking Birds LP and CD from glacial pace... I ordered a month ago :|
Daydreaming Disaster
Dani

Postby rustybergen » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:00 pm

going to see mimicking birds this thursday in baltimore on april 22 thanks to the band!! i saw a myspace bulletin posted by the mimicking birds the other day stating that if you were having trouble buying tickets to their upcoming tour because you have no money, then send them a message and they will see what they can do.

well i sent a pm, and the band remembers hanging with me when they opened for mm, so they said they would get me in at the baltimore show. pretty damn nice of them, i will have to repay the favor. :mrgreen:

they are opening for jakob dylan and neko case. the sad thing is the shitty venue "rams head live" in baltimore doesn't even list the mimicking birds as an opening band on their website. kinda a shame because i had no idea they were touring near me until i visited their myspace...
rustybergen

Postby MajinTrunkz » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:44 am

That's awesome, rusty. I'd love to see them play again, I just wish they were coming to SC or somewhere near. Ah well, maybe the next tour.
MajinTrunkz

Postby Dani » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:54 pm

rustybergen wrote:going to see mimicking birds this thursday in baltimore on april 22 thanks to the band!! i saw a myspace bulletin posted by the mimicking birds the other day stating that if you were having trouble buying tickets to their upcoming tour because you have no money, then send them a message and they will see what they can do.

well i sent a pm, and the band remembers hanging with me when they opened for mm, so they said they would get me in at the baltimore show. pretty damn nice of them, i will have to repay the favor. :mrgreen:

they are opening for jakob dylan and neko case. the sad thing is the shitty venue "rams head live" in baltimore doesn't even list the mimicking birds as an opening band on their website. kinda a shame because i had no idea they were touring near me until i visited their myspace...

wow, thats so cool... rusty, you lucky lucky bastard you :mrgreen:
Daydreaming Disaster
Dani

Postby Slackerbitch » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:58 pm

is this any good? or did people only get it because isaac is on it?
Slackerbitch

Postby Chief Tragedy » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:10 am

Isaac is what made me listen to it in the first place, but I think this band is actually amazing. They write about a lot of themes that I enjoy, especially space.
Go reckless unharmed,
Yep, the shut-ins they're well armed!
Well we all led the charge,
`Til we ran aground in our party barge.

And every little gift was just one more part of their grift,
Oh yeah we know it!

[Night On The Sun // NOTS Facebook]
Chief Tragedy

Return to Everything Else