Attention members that don't post / Spam

General off-topic socialization, lunacy and mayhem.

Attention members that don't post / Spam

Postby Gregg » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:02 am

Hi All,

As some of you may have noticed, we had a huge attack of spam about a week ago on the message boards, with fake accounts being registered almost every minute. This resulted in me having to shut down registration for a few days and performing a lot of maintenance and cleanup.

Things have been a lot better this past week, but one or two old dormant accounts have come back and spammed. I also know there are a lot of fake members with 0 posts whom have inappropriate website urls listed on their accounts. I have decided that I really would like to clean this up, plus avoid having any of these fake accounts decided to go on a spam posting spree after having been registered 3 years earlier.

So this is mainly a message to valid users who have registered real accounts, but never use them to post. This is a 14 day notice that I will be deleting all members with a post count of 0. I know this is short notice, I've tried to make it as long as possible so that old members may stumble across this message. I know this is a bad time to be doing this, as Modest Mouse is at an all time low and the board is very quiet.

Should you wish to keep your account, either make a post, PM or email me, and I will make sure your account is not removed.

Thanks for your understanding.
Gregg
Site Admin

Re: Attention members that don't post / Spam

Postby autumn » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:04 am

This is a real account! Please don't delete...and thanks for maintaining the site, Gregg.
autumn

Postby Eli Porter » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:04 am

prolly not a good idea. im completely amazed i even saw this. most people dont click stickies.
http://www.youtube.com/user/sh0rty08?feature=mhsn here, i have a good amount of live MM videos uploaded.
Eli Porter

Postby McWeird007 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:35 pm

I am reaaaallll
"I like the saline tea, but it's true that the moon can pull it back and forth away from me"
McWeird007

Postby Gods_Shoeshine » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:47 pm

no delete me! thanks for the website!
Gods_Shoeshine

Postby MMfan522 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:50 am

I am new but DEFIANTLY REAL haha.
MMfan522

Postby Gregg » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:58 pm

Here's an update. I'm still trying to combat spam. So I'm leaving the old members for now and requiring new members to have a minimum post count of 5 that have to be approved by the admins before they can post. I'll see how this goes before making up my mind.
Gregg
Site Admin

Postby MajinTrunkz » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:43 am

Yeah, I've been doing quite a bit of cleanup from spam too. I think making new members wait for the posts to be approved is a good idea, we just need to make sure to check whether or not there are posts needing approval so real people wanting to post don't get forgotten.
MajinTrunkz

Postby glenn.glenn » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:53 pm

Slightly off topic, but this quick reply is the shiznat!
glenn.glenn

Return to Everything Else