excited to jam some MM at a small festival this weekend...

General off-topic socialization, lunacy and mayhem.

excited to jam some MM at a small festival this weekend...

Postby jplan74 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:51 pm

My old band throws a party every year around the 4th... couple hundred kids, lots of local bands, etc. Sometimes I'll play with them (I left the band on my own, on good terms) and sometimes i'll play solo acoustic.

this year i'm playing solo and worked 4 MM covers into the mix. All more recent stuff, its a jamband crowd so things i really wanted to play (Bankrupt, Broke, Out of Gas) would probably go unnoticed. so i'm playing to the crowd a bit...

i do Good Times Are Killing Me and Wild Pack of Family Dogs regularly acoustically and am going to give them a World At Large > Float On.

but i created some acoustic tracks on my ipad using sound cloud so i can layer the guitar and sing/play the leads live. it actually sounds pretty cool!

I'm looking forward to a weekend of sun, bbq and bringing MM to the hippies! haha
jplan74

Re: excited to jam some MM at a small festival this weekend.

Postby Leanne » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:39 am

Awesome! Let us know how it goes 8-)
Leanne

Postby Funkpolice911 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:25 am

no, dont do float on, unless you know how to play it correctly (which no one seems to know how). I would recommend recommend paper thin walls, if you know how to play it correctly (WHICH NO ONE SEEMS TO KNOW HOW AGAIN).

good luck though and have fun :D
Funkpolice911

Postby jplan74 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:16 pm

thanks. i had a friend who beat the big "C" last winter and i wanted to send Float On out to him. I am fairly certain I know how to play it correctly, haha, as I watched IB's hands during some live performances on youtube. its the same chord progression (plus finger pull-offs) for basically the whole tune plus the riff.

i'll post the recording next week and let you guys be the judge! :lol:
jplan74

Postby jplan74 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:26 pm

(aside: this festival is primarily folks i know and folks who were/are big fans of my old band Unexplained Bacon. its really more a large BBQ w/bands than a true festival. I would never play Float On at a bigger festival/crowd i don't already own) :D
jplan74

Postby jplan74 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:41 pm

all in all a pretty solid performance! i didnt play my best Wild Pack, it was really hot and that song was early in the set, i wasnt warmed up really and my fingers kept slipping. wasnt a trainwreck by any means but i didnt capture the essence of the tune like i wanted.

world at large came out pretty cool but the highlight of my set by far was Good Times Are Killing Me. had a bassist friend come up and join me for that one. crowds at festivals always grab onto that one!

I ended up not doing Float on. The DJ act playing late night the previous night did a trance-d out spinning of it and brought me up to play the sig riff/sing it. i had no idea they were going to do that and i dont like to repeat tunes.

my originals were also a big hit, lots of old school fans there who remembered my time with the band and they all were happy to hear the ol faves.

great weekend, though glad to be back home with my girl, cool and not sweating finally! haha
jplan74

Return to Everything Else