Literary references in MM

Modest Mouse related discussion.

Literary references in MM

Postby ManFromTheMoon » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:49 am

Hey everyone it's me, Криккит (aka Krikkit (aka CalculusMan )) from Modmouse. I really miss that site, but am happy I don't spend much time online anymore.

Anyways I was started reading Vonnegut's Cat's Cradlel today and saw that one of the characters has the pejorative nick name Secret Agent X-9, I never knew where that came from before.

I also know there is a bunch of other references throughout the band's work, like the Dashboard video is mostly based on the work of Charles Fort.

So what else is there regarding MM and the world of literature I don't know about?

Also if

Corey (Porkstorm)
Krista (Krista)
Steve (Audiophuq)
Mark (sniff this)
Sleepwalking (you promised you would tell me your name one day)

or anyone else I used to converse with regularly stops in, just post to say Hi.
What he said^
ManFromTheMoon

Re: Literary references in MM

Postby Dying Lobster » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:04 pm

I'm pretty sure In Tom Robbin's Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climate there are some lines Isaac uses in Good Times. Like "Kick butt buzz-cut dickheads who didn't like what I said" if I'm not mistaken. There may be a few others.
Dying Lobster

Postby innocentbystander » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:37 pm

Secret Agent X-9 is a comic strip from the 1950s I believe. There's a lot of literary stuff in Good News.
innocentbystander

Postby BackwardsMaker » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:43 pm

There was a thread on modmouse talking about some author that Isaac apparently likes. I can't remember his name, though. According to that thread "The Stars Are Projectors" was a reference to one of his books. It said something like "the stars are merely projectors." Someone here probably knows what I'm talking about.
BackwardsMaker

Postby MajinTrunkz » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:58 am

Well besides "Bukowski" (duh), the song "Long Distance Drunk" is named after a Bukowski poem. I'm sure there's tons more, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.
MajinTrunkz

Postby divegator » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:24 am

Isaac's said in at least one interview that Cormac McCarthy's "Blood Meridian" heavily influenced M&A. It's a really good book if any of you guys haven't read it.

I can't remember whether or not the "stars are merely projectors" line is in that book though.
My heart is broke
but I have some glue.
Help me inhale
and mend it with you.
divegator

Postby ManFromTheMoon » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:43 am

Not literature but pop culture related

Also from a period of mouse I would like to soon forget

But I just read that Johnny Marr wrote a lot of the original music for the movie Inception

Great movie if you haven't seen it

** Edit, LOL on replacing Mar*r's name in the script
What he said^
ManFromTheMoon

Postby Chief Tragedy » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:19 am

King Rat is the name of a book by James Clavell.

"King Rat is named after the central character in Clavell's spellbinding masterpiece about the brutality of prison camp life in Japanese-occupied, World War II Malaya. The King, an American corporal, seeks to dominate both captives and captors by his courage, profound insight into human frailties, and pragmatic American business techniques in a class-ridden society where Japanese and British actions are bound by bankrupt codes of "honor." The novel, originally published in 1962, is made more engrossing by flashbacks to the home front. Reader David Chase superbly transfers Clavell's genius as a writer to this superb audio. His skill lies in communicating the author's uproarious black humor and in his fabulous timing and phraseology. Highly recommended.
-James Dudley, Westhampton Beach, NY "
Go reckless unharmed,
Yep, the shut-ins they're well armed!
Well we all led the charge,
`Til we ran aground in our party barge.

And every little gift was just one more part of their grift,
Oh yeah we know it!

[Night On The Sun // NOTS Facebook]
Chief Tragedy

Postby Dying Lobster » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:54 pm

Chief Tragedy wrote:King Rat is the name of a book by James Clavell.

"King Rat is named after the central character in Clavell's spellbinding masterpiece about the brutality of prison camp life in Japanese-occupied, World War II Malaya. The King, an American corporal, seeks to dominate both captives and captors by his courage, profound insight into human frailties, and pragmatic American business techniques in a class-ridden society where Japanese and British actions are bound by bankrupt codes of "honor." The novel, originally published in 1962, is made more engrossing by flashbacks to the home front. Reader David Chase superbly transfers Clavell's genius as a writer to this superb audio. His skill lies in communicating the author's uproarious black humor and in his fabulous timing and phraseology. Highly recommended.
-James Dudley, Westhampton Beach, NY "

Hey, I go to school in westhampton. crazy! Yea I forgot to mention King Rat earlier.
Dying Lobster

Postby innocentbystander » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:15 am

Dying Lobster wrote:I'm pretty sure In Tom Robbin's Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climate there are some lines Isaac uses in Good Times. Like "Kick butt buzz-cut dickheads who didn't like what I said" if I'm not mistaken. There may be a few others.

That line might also refer to the Murder City Devils, apparently. Band feuds for the win!
innocentbystander

Postby atno000 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:29 pm

I was reading One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest weeks ago, and there was a line that mentioned "mechanical birds". That was kind of a shocker.

Would be really curious to find the book that has the line from The Stars Are Projectors. One of my favorite songs lyrically - Of all time, that is, not just Modest Mouse.
atno000

Return to General Discussion