Can \"We Were Dead\" stand the test of time?

Modest Mouse related discussion.

Can \"We Were Dead\" stand the test of time?

Postby isaacismyhero » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:42 am

Ok so we are all pretty hardcore fans, correct? And we have all been listening to We Were Dead since it came out, right? So i was wondering what are your honest opinions of We Were Dead after giving it some time to sink in? Here's mine...

In my opinion We Were Dead is Modest Mouse at their worst... It's a great album don't get me wrong, but it can't possibly compare to pre Moon and Antarctica material. For one it lacks the creativity of Mouse's indie label releases which comes as no surprise this album was made for the masses, and the masses don't like creativity. Secondly Johnny Marr is now in the band and that makes me mad, \"Oh but Johnny Marr is Great!\" Yeah Johnny Marr is great... in The Smiths! Seriously Johnny brings nothing to the band except a more polished sound, and a more pop sound. I don't know about you but I loved Modest before they were pop or polished, and in my opinion all that pop and polish feels pretty insincere (Also I find Johnny's backup lyrics annoying). Third it is more repetitive than any of their other albums, and repetition=a lack of room for experimentation and that makes me sad. The only other problem I have with this album is \"We've Got Everything\" it's the first and only Modest Mouse song that i dislike. Other than that i really enjoy the album, it still has a lot of the elements that make Modest Mouse my favorite band. Isaac is still a lyrical genius and there are still some really amazing musical arrangements, it's just not as good as The Lonesome Crowded West, but we all know that is a very unfair comparison :)
isaacismyhero

?

Postby isaacismyhero » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:45 am

feel free to post your replies, I'm just wondering why M a r r came out as Marr
isaacismyhero

Re: ?

Postby Jacquelyn » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:31 am

isaacismyhero wrote:feel free to post your replies, I'm just wondering why M a r r came out as Carson

LOL, I was wondering that myself. Especially in your other posts. Maybe the mod here is a Marr lover and won't tolerate any of our disses.

Edit: MARRMARRMARRMARRMARR!!!!!
Jacquelyn

Postby isaacismyhero » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:51 am

Jacquelyn wrote:Maybe the mod here is a Carson lover and won't tolerate any of our disses.

Ha that's probably the only logical explanation :lol: , but seriously what do you think of the new album after listening to it for a few months?
isaacismyhero

Postby Jacquelyn » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:21 pm

isaacismyhero wrote:
Jacquelyn wrote:Maybe the mod here is a Carson lover and won't tolerate any of our disses.

Ha that's probably the only logical explanation :lol: , but seriously what do you think of the new album after listening to it for a few months?

As much as I love the new album, I prefer the old stuff. Like, it's the same case as it was with Good News. I don't blame Johnny Marr (Maher) for it at all. Like, I truly hate the guy, but I don't believe he "co wrote" anything on the album. The band changes with every album because that's what it has always done. And that's what makes it so great. I miss having Modest Mouse being unheard of though. Now, there are way too many Modest Mouse n00bs.
Jacquelyn

Postby mm4l » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:25 am

Jacquelyn wrote:
. And that's what makes it so great. I miss having Modest Mouse being unheard of though. Now, there are way too many Modest Mouse n00bs.

Yeah...
LONG DRIVE FTW!!!
We Were Dead is ALOT better than anything comming out nowadays
But we all know it cant stand next to the M&A and before era
I mean i would love to see them live
but i would literally piss myself if isaac broke out into Make Everyone Happy/Mechanical Birds
I dont think we can really blame Johhny whats-his-face
There has been alot of people through out the band and they still came out
awesome
but I do agree it is on the "for the masses" side
But its still mouse none the less
and some of the stuff is still good
so i am shamelessly pack my ipod's playlist with half the album...
Out of the Context, into what you meant
mm4l

Postby Gwil » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:02 pm

Yeah, it's an interesting question. After the Moon and Antractica the band had a much more polished and pop sound (as I think was originally stated) though Isaac still kept his writing skills, it all sounded different. Somehow much more produced to fit in with the time. Although it's still original in it's own right.

As with all the arts, things age. But esspecailly so, with things like music and film. Something things survive longer than others but. Most mainstream movies cast high profile actors, and have \"fad soundtracks\". And so after a few years when the films had time stew. If there was decent writing and thoughts and sounds within that then It may continue onwards. I'm blabbering on again, but this does connect to bands.
Remember the Nu/RapMetal phase? Not too many of those bands lasted did they. I'm not saying that Isaac's anything short of a genius, but it's just that now is his fifteen minutes. And sooner than later the coporations will be guiding everyone into what they should be wearing, watching and listening to. Withouht everyone knowing.

However, time will test all the hardcore fans. You'll know you are once you start playing the some kids of the future Float On. And one pre-pubescent (one day to be rockstar) says \"hey man, this old shit's not too bad\".
Gwil

Postby Mississippi Gary » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:07 pm

i think WWDBTSES is an amazing album, a return to form after the disappointing Good News....

We Were Dead is a nice mixture of classic MM mixed in with more poppier numbers from Good News... and i think the album as a whole is phenomenal. There isn't a bad song on it and hats off to Isaac for getting JM to join cos he is an amazing guitar player - so effortless in what he does. Doesn't hog the limelight or wank all over the songs, just does what he has to do.

not what you asked in the first place i know, but i;m saying anyway.
Mississippi Gary

Postby mrrockyhopper » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:34 pm

JM is an amazing guitar player - so effortless in what he does. Doesn't hog the limelight or wank all over the songs, just does what he has to do.

Maybe, but he still looks like an arrogant dick when he's playing live with them, having said that if he was someone else I'd probably say he was fine. But I do really wish he wasn't there. I think that album is good, and I just tell myself he had very little to do with it.
mrrockyhopper

Postby orange4cat » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:39 am

alright alright kids:

We were dead is by far better than the album previously released (I hardly even want to mention the name). Johnny Marr is a veteran and I think it's awesome that he's participating. I don't think he looks like an arrogant asshole on stage. He's a fucking brit. Sometimes they just come off that way. I think he adds tradition and structure to the music. I still don't necessarily consider him a complete band member. There are three dudes that fall under that category (Green, Brock, Judy) and that will never change.

There are a couple parts throughout the album, that are a tad annoying, for example the chorus in 'we've got everything'. This is one of the songs that I brought up to Isaac backstage at a show in LA, and he agreed with me. It makes me wonder about his compromise and/or his creative freedom.

Of course nothing can compare to 'this is along drive...' because of the levels of creative that blanketed each track. Also because it was the first album that introduced us (or at least me) to the pack. I think saying that it sucks that they're successful now is selfish. As long as they're not selling out, I love watching them grow as a band. Even if that means that I now have something in common with the douche bag down the street. I was about 16 when their first album came out and my taste in music has matured tremendously over that last decade. I'm glad that I have a life long favorite band that grows with me.

As far as the original thesis at hand (sorry about my rant): time is the only thing able to tell. I think Modest Mouse will always last as a band, and the albums may become more blurred together, like the police or the talking heads for example. Maybe the die hards will know all of the albums, like the Beatles, Pink Floyd, etc. But generally speaking people don't know if 'Lucy in the sky with diamonds' is on Revolver or sgt. pepper's lonely hearts club band.

Either way I hope they last, and I hope that the general public will start to appreciate music as an art and not as a theme song for them to drive around in their fancy cars that could feed a whole village in south africa, or new orleans for crying the fuck out loud.

alright that's it.

peace
Every sick, fickle fucker.
orange4cat

Postby orange4cat » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:46 am

ok so the site is haunted. m...a....r..r...d..d (minus the d's) comes up as carson. weird
Every sick, fickle fucker.
orange4cat

Re:

Postby Mississippi Gary » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:12 am

mrrockyhopper wrote:
JM is an amazing guitar player - so effortless in what he does. Doesn't hog the limelight or wank all over the songs, just does what he has to do.

Maybe, but he still looks like an arrogant dick when he's playing live with them, having said that if he was someone else I'd probably say he was fine. But I do really wish he wasn't there. I think that album is good, and I just tell myself he had very little to do with it.

i don't understand where this arrogance theory is coming from.

Coming from the UK i've seen JM a fair bit over the years being interviewed on tv and in magazines etc and he honestly seems like a genuine down to Earth guy.

go onto You Tube and type in "Johnny Marr Fender" and there is an interview with him talking about guitars and Modest Mouse. He's seems like a good lad.

Don't know how long he'll be in the band for but for now i am grateful for his presence.
Mississippi Gary

Postby mrrockyhopper » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:27 pm

[/quote]I don't think he looks like an arrogant asshole on stage. He's a fucking brit. Sometimes they just come off that way

Being British too, that's a bit of an insult. Surely the nation your from doesn't dictate whether or not you are arrogant. Nothing like a bit of narrow mindedness.

Anyway he probably isn't at all arrogant. I just find the way he looks on stage a bit Manc. which is fair enough cos he is a manc. So I retract that.

go onto You Tube and type in \"Johnny Carson Fender\" and there is an interview with him talking about guitars and Modest Mouse[quote]

I'll have a look, thanks for that.
mrrockyhopper

Postby mrrockyhopper » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:34 pm

well i messed that up didn't i.
mrrockyhopper

Re:

Postby Mississippi Gary » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:28 pm

mrrockyhopper wrote:well i messed that up didn't i.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

it happens sometimes.

yeah i was going to mention the Manc thing too, i think they have a certain swagger to them although JM doesn't ham it up like fellow Mancs such as the Gallachers or Ian Brown.
Mississippi Gary

Next

Return to General Discussion