They Might Be Giants "Can't Keep Johnny Down" video

Does Modest Mouse inspire you? Post your personal music links or other artworks here.

They Might Be Giants "Can't Keep Johnny Down" video

Postby MajinTrunkz » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:12 am

They Might Be Giants are one of my favorite bands, and they had a contest to make a video for their new song "Can't Keep Johnny Down." The videos were judged by John Hodgman (you may know him from the Daily Show or as the PC guy from those Mac commercials), and the winner got $1000 plus a pizza bought by TMBG. So my girlfriend and I decided to make a video, and here's what we came up with:

There ended up being more submissions than expected, so Hodmgan and TMBG decided to have 5 runners up as well as the winner, and holy crap, our video was one of the runners up! I wasn't expecting to win, so even being a runner up is pretty awesome. For this, we get a t-shirt and John Hodgman is going to buy us a pizza. I still don't have the details on how exactly that's going to work, but whatever. I think it's pretty awesome.

Here's what Hodgman had to say about our video:
RUNNER UP!: BEST USE OF CAT

SO MANY of these videos were made by teenagers and other young people, and for the first time in a long time, watching their submissions made me feel extremely awed and excited by their talents instead of merely THREATENED BY THEM. HOORAY FOR YOUTH!

THIS YOUNG PERSON was one of MANY to respond to Linnell’s call for “stylish capes” by making his Johnny a super-hero. But he was one of FEW OF ANY AGE to realize that this super-hero is kind of an ass.

I ADORE JOHNNY’S low-key friend who is constantly following him around, cleaning up his messes. AND WHILE CATS WERE TECHNICALLY NOT WELCOME IN THESE VIDEOS, I find Johnny’s stealing of the cat in this video to be HILARIOUS.

http://www.areasofmyexpertise.com/2011/ ... gman-down/
MajinTrunkz

Re: They Might Be Giants "Can't Keep Johnny Down" video

Postby sunspots » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:09 pm

No way, I love TMBG!

"All the dicks in this dick town can't keep Johnny down"

Yesss
ohno I donunderstan
sunspots

Postby innocentbystander » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:22 pm

That's awesome!
I've never listened to TMBG, but I have a friend who likes them so much he is going all the way from Silver Spring, MD to the Williamsburg Waterfront for their free concert.
(For what it's worth, I briefly considered making the same trip to see Modest Mouse back in November. :P )
innocentbystander

Postby Other People » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:08 am

Maybe I should give them a chance. The only thing I know is I drove my daughter to school listening to one of thier kids ablums with a hangover and it just made it worse. Then again, maybe I'm racist against Canadians. Just I know I know I never ever want to ever hear 'E eats everything' again ever again (and it is one of the better songs on the album).
Other People

Postby MajinTrunkz » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:02 am

Well, first off all, they're not Canadian. They're from New York. :P

And if you've only listened to their stuff for kids, definitely listen to their "adult" music before deciding you don't like them. The kids' music they do is definitely catchy, but their other stuff is a lot better. I'd suggest checking out Dial-A-Song: 20 Years of They Might Be Giants, which is a 2-disc collection of songs from throughout their career.
MajinTrunkz

Postby sunspots » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:49 pm

ohno I donunderstan
sunspots

Postby MidnightZeni » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:44 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rym1ngu0 ... re=related
This without a doubt is like the best live footage ever filmed.

Some other TMBG goodies

Don't Let Start
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvOVMxOTwqw

Puppet Head
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U24OvWVdVwA
("A note to myself: do the dumb things I gotta do, touch the puppet head") :D
MidnightZeni

Return to Music & Art