Listen to my songs, tell me what to do next.

Does Modest Mouse inspire you? Post your personal music links or other artworks here.

Listen to my songs, tell me what to do next.

Postby MajinTrunkz » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:52 pm

I've got quite a few songs that I've written over the last few years, and I'm finally getting around to recording them, though just as me singing and playing acoustic guitar. I've got a couple uploaded right now, which you can listen to here: http://soundcloud.com/polar-bears-go-grawr

I don't know about the name Polar Bears Go Grawr. I wanted to just use my name, but this guy got to it first, I guess. So PBGG it is, for lack of anything better. So yeah, let me know what you think. Just keep in mind that these are just rough recordings, not meant to be finished products by any means.

ALSO, for added fun (maybe), you guys choose what song I should record next. I'll give you a list of songs that I've written, and based on the title, I'll let you pick which one I do. First person to comment gets to choose. My goal is to have a new song done every 1-2 weeks, but hopefully I'll be motivated to do them quicker than that.

Songs to choose from:
Awake for Days
Dawn
Dying Breath (this one's actually not even fully written yet...)
Sun's Up
Unsound/Obscene
Every Day (Mountains and Seas)
Dark Corridors
MajinTrunkz

Re: Listen to my songs, tell me what to do next.

Postby sky-high » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:07 am

Good songs Majin! I like the double vocals on Crash. Keep Yourself is really good too. You should add some percussion and define the parts more. As far as the vote goes, I'd like to hear Dawn or Everyday.
sky-high

Postby MajinTrunkz » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:43 am

I'd really like to add some percussion to both songs, but I don't have anything to use. We had a drum set at our house up until a couple of months ago, but nobody was using it so we pretty much donated it to our church. I guess I could always go the pots and pans route, eh? :D

I think I'll give "Every Day" a shot next then. I'll probably do "Dawn" eventually too, but for that one I really wish I had some percussion/other people to play with, because I think it'd sound a whole lot better with a full band.
MajinTrunkz

Postby MajinTrunkz » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:25 am

Been forever since I posted in here, but just wanted to let anyone who might care know that I've added a few more songs in the past couple months. I finally got around to doing "Every Day," sky-high, if you even remember requesting it, haha.

http://www.soundcloud.com/polar-bears-go-grawr

I've put together an 8-track demo EP with some songs from my SoundCloud, a couple of which are alternate versions of the ones online. Also another (short) track that's not on there. If anybody wants one let me know. I'd even be willing to mail out a physical copy with some (home-made) artwork if you want one. For free, even! Just trying to get some stuff out there.
MajinTrunkz

Postby President of Antarctica » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:14 am

Mailing out home-made demos with home-made artwork..... the good ol days! I remember doing that for Deja Morti, my old band. Probably going to continue doing it for my new music.

Matt, dude.... Awesome! You have a great number of solid songs here. I really like Mountains and Seas. Can't wait to hear you with a backing band. Nice vocals as well, you used a double-track for some of them right? I'd like to hear Dark Corridors.

Wish you lived closer man, we could jam up a storm! Keep writing!
President of Antarctica

Postby MajinTrunkz » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:06 am

Yeah I use quite a bit of double-tracked vocals, actually. It just sounds better, you know? :P

As for a backing band, we actually just had our first practice Wednesday. I'm lucky enough to have musicians for younger brothers, one plays drums and trumpet while the other plays piano/keyboard and guitar. And then we've got another friend of ours who is a great bassist. First practice went really well, we worked on "Sliding Doors" and "Keep Yourself." We also messed around with "Dawn," which really does need the full band for it to sound good. Unfortunately Gavin (bassist) will be out of town next week, but the rest of us will do some more practicing without him. Once we get a few songs down I'm going to try and record us just playing live, and if it turns out good I'll post it here.

I've had the main guitar for "Dark Corridors" recorded for a while now, but I've been a bit lazy and just haven't gotten the vocals down. I'll see what I can do about finishing it up soon. :D
MajinTrunkz

Postby MajinTrunkz » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:49 pm

Okay, so here's a "finished" version of Dark Corridors: http://soundcloud.com/polar-bears-go-gr ... -corridors

As I say in the SoundCloud description, I don't know if I like it or not. It didn't quite come out how I had imagined it in my head.
MajinTrunkz

Postby President of Antarctica » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:11 am

They don't always come out as you intend but they always become what they were meant to be. I give it four dark corridors to go down out of four! Check it out!
President of Antarctica

Postby vvhydevv » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:01 am

Heard a bunch of your band practices on youtube and they're really great. I showed them to like 10 of my friends today and they really like 'em too. Was wondering if your recording all those songs for an album or if your going to do live shows or something eventually. I was also wondering if your still willing to send one of your demo tapes I would really love one.
vvhydevv

Postby MajinTrunkz » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:44 am

Thanks man, I really appreciate the feedback. We've been practicing for a few months now and are just getting to the point that we feel we can play shows soon. We almost had one booked for December 7, but that didn't pan out, so hopefully something else will come up soon. No plans for recording as of now, since we don't really have any money to get studio time and whatnot. Gonna try getting some shows booked first and see how it goes from there.

And yeah, I'd love to send you a copy of my demos. Just send me a PM with your address and I'll have it sent as soon as I can.

For anyone else interested, here's a YouTube playlist of some songs from my band's practice yesterday: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... FIzHbeaMy6

Along with what's up, we have 3 or 4 more originals that we're still working on. I'll probably have videos of those once we get all the kinks worked out. We also do a cover of "Big Dipper" by Built to Spill.
MajinTrunkz

Return to Music & Art