The Roots' undun

Share your musical interests by discussing other artists you're listening to.

The Roots' undun

Postby Luke » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:59 am

I know this is a board dedicated to an Alternative/Indie band, but I know I've seen people on here talking about hip hop, especially concerning Big Boi, who appears on undun. I consider myself an avid hip hop fan, albeit I think that 90% of rap and hip hop that is listened to is complete and utter shite. But the other 10% is predominatly dominated by The Roots. For over 24 years they have been releasing albums that change the precedent of hip hop. Finally, undun, their 13th album, has been leaked. I haven't heard a hip hop album like this in years; the production is orchestral, deeper and more layered than any predecessors. Black Thought's verses are what every MC aims for, sharp, poignant, clever, and above all, flow unbelievably. undun is a concept album following the story of Redford Stephens criminal life. I implore you, listen to this album. I won't post a link to the torrent, I'm not sure that's allowed here. Here's a couple leaked songs that have made their way onto youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD5FNXXgIeg Make My
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMseUT2n ... ture=share The Otherside

Hip Hop fan or not, give this a listen, it truly is an amazing work of art.
Luke
 
Posts: 124
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: The Roots' undun

Postby turnyourgunsaround » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:31 am

My heart is centered in rock music, and I am a fan of some hip hop like Tribe Called Quest or Nas's Illmatic, but man... this is amazing.

Now I have a question. Other than this album, what do you consider a good starter Roots album? I've had my eye on them but just never really looked into them.
turnyourgunsaround
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:12 am

Re: The Roots' undun

Postby Luke » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:00 am

Tribe and Nas are great, Jazz (We've Got) is to this day one of my favorite tracks. As for other albums, honestly man, all of them ha. Illadelph Halflife is a classic, Organix is great as well. It's really cool to see how they progress, I'd listen to their albums in chronologic order starting with Organix and ending with undun. And if you ever get a chance to see them live (which is hard to do since they took the Jimmy Fallon gig) do not pass it up, they are unbelievable live. I've seen them 4 times and each time they put on a better show than the last... especially after taking Fallon on, they sound so unbelievably tight and cohesive with Blackthought's verses complimenting them perfectly. Also, the guitarist/back up vocalist, Captain Kirk, puts on a great show. Definitely some of the best performers I've seen.
Luke
 
Posts: 124
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: The Roots' undun

Postby turnyourgunsaround » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:21 pm

awesome, man. thanks. i'll definitely look into them a bit more!
turnyourgunsaround
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:12 am


Return to Other Music

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron