Built To Spill

Share your musical interests by discussing other artists you're listening to.

Built To Spill

Postby turnyourgunsaround » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:56 pm

i'm appalled that there isn't already a topic on them, haha... probably too cliche to post one about them in a modest mouse forum, eh?

anyways... they're one of my favorites. i hold doug martsch on high regard... treepeople, halo benders, built to spill, his solo album... it's all wonderful. best singing voice ever.

hope they're around my area EARLY next year!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gncB-kQUUgQ
turnyourgunsaround

Re: Built To Spill

Postby Cubanwhip » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:20 pm

Saw them live last year in Tallahassee, FL. Amazing show. I was sitting in the parking lot smoking, few hours before the show and I saw the band walking out of the venue and Doug had an unlit cig in his mouth and noticed I was smoking, so he came up and asked for a light. We talked for a bit, then he went off to grab some food. Awesome guy. And during the show, he stated he started smoking again today and thanked me on stage.
And so the sun it rises in the east, setting your thoughts to rest in the west.
And you look and you look but you're blind in one eye with chocolate smiles to swallow your pride.
Cubanwhip

Postby gitCHuONe » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:18 pm

It's actually pretty funny that there now is a Built to Spill thread. Many of my friends who are not fans of Modest Mouse, hold BtS on high regard. Stating that their reasoning for NOT liking MM is because they say it's a direct rip-off of BtS. :roll: It's not a debate worth fighting, but I definitely do not believe this to be the case. I am a huge MM fan, and I also appreciate the work of Built to Spill. ;)
gitCHuONe

Postby innocentbystander » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:19 am

Built To Spill are amazing.
innocentbystander

Postby turnyourgunsaround » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:04 am

that's so sweet about doug just asking you for a light haha! i had heard they're pretty down to earth and hearing that just confirms it.

in terms of modest mouse and built to spill... i just think they both have the same spirit of quality songwriting, don't you think? i think people confuse that with "ripping another off" :P
plus they're both beautiful bands rhythmically, texturally, etc etc... they both are unique but have a lot of core aspects that are similar and that's what makes both of them great...
(but i'll always favor mm a bit more cuz they're just... modest mouse)

and innocentbystander, i see ya got perfect from now on in your last.fm avatar thing... i can't even begin to explain how much that album means to me.
i used to think it was just decent at first but one day it hit me and i haven't found an album that can touch it's sincerity and it's amazing structure from start to finish.

"and i'd like to see it but it's something you just feel
and i'd love to feel it but it just isn't real
and god is who ever you're performing for
and god is whoever you perform for"
turnyourgunsaround

Postby MajinTrunkz » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:17 am

I've owned Ancient Melodies of the Future for quite some time and really liked it, but I really got into the band a couple years ago when a friend and I decided to go see them in NC. We saw them at the Cat's Cradle in Carrboro, NC in 2009 and then again almost exactly a year later in 2010, and both shows were spectacular. They even managed to play two entirely different set lists. I don't know if they did that on purpose, but between the 2009 and 2010 shows they did not repeat any songs. I also managed to get a set list from the show last year. I really hope they play around here again soon.
MajinTrunkz

Postby divegator » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:52 pm

Truly a remarkable band. I've only been able to catch them once, but I have a signed setlist and signed poster to show for it :D

They also played Big Dipper, Car, and Stop the Show. So win win win.
My heart is broke
but I have some glue.
Help me inhale
and mend it with you.
divegator

Postby MajinTrunkz » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:15 pm

I got video of the whole show from last year, though the audio kind of sucks. They're all on my YouTube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--QWPY9pL2M
MajinTrunkz

Postby gitCHuONe » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:28 pm

MajinTrunkz wrote:I got video of the whole show from last year, though the audio kind of sucks. They're all on my YouTube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--QWPY9pL2M

:)

Cool stuff... but yeah, the audio is horrendous. :lol:
gitCHuONe

Postby innocentbystander » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:30 am

turnyourgunsaround wrote:and innocentbystander, i see ya got perfect from now on in your last.fm avatar thing...

lol it's not actually last.fm ... i took the time to make it myself xD
the weird thing about BtS is that i like all of their albums equally, well the ones i've heard... not too interested in owning live, the normal years, or ancient melodies atm. but i mean, damn, perfect from now on, there is no enemy, there's nothing wrong with love, even you in reverse... those albums are equally excellent in my mind.
innocentbystander

Postby turnyourgunsaround » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:40 am

^haha that's awesome. well, it's quite nicely done for being homemade :)

i love all their albums a lot... but the only one i just didn't get too crazy for is ancient melodies. the first called "ultimate alternative wavers" is criminally underrated, though... so people, get that one if you haven't already! it's perfection.
turnyourgunsaround

Postby LongDriveInAcar » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:28 am

BTS just released a cover of "Jokerman" by Bob Dylan. You can listen on spotify
LongDriveInAcar

Postby Gregg » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:24 am

Seeing them tomorrow. Looking forward to it, I kind of stopped following them after You In Reverse. Just grabbed the new album earlier this week and it's not bad.
Gregg
Site Admin

Postby Quail126 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:32 pm

Gregg wrote:Seeing them tomorrow. Looking forward to it, I kind of stopped following them after You In Reverse. Just grabbed the new album earlier this week and it's not bad.

Thisisalongdrive and I saw them play two shows in Portland on the 22nd and 23rd. They were great both nights. They played Velvet Waltz for 16 minutes at the end of the set.
Quail126

Return to Other Music