Artists whose music sounds like MM first two albums...

Share your musical interests by discussing other artists you're listening to.

Artists whose music sounds like MM first two albums...

Postby shimasounds » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:51 am

Hey guys,

For the longest time, I've been looking around for music that is stylistically similar to This is a Long Drive and The Lonesome Crowded West. I've used websites like Last.FM and Pandora, and even asked my friends who are Modest Mouse fans. I've come across some wonderful music, but I'm always looking for more. If anyone has an album that they think would be a good match, please let me know! I would love you forever.
shimasounds

Re: Artists whose music sounds like MM first two albums...

Postby Slackerbitch » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:32 am

have you tried the pixies? their first ep and album are very similar to long drive in the raw vocal sense, and the rest of their albums are more like lonesome. pretty sure isaac has gone on record as saying that he has ripped a lot of stuff off from the pixies.

also frank black's second solo album, teenager of the year, also has that long drive kind of sound. (i think :) )

breakthrough, head south, etc, these could all have been pixies songs.

also a lot of people like to compare built to spill and modest mouse
Slackerbitch

Postby innocentbystander » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:58 am

built to spill is great.
a comparison i make that nobody seems to believe is to rilo kiley's first album, take-offs and landings. lyrically it's quite different, about lost love and all that stuff. similar to death cab for cutie. it has this dark tone that you don't find in a lot of 'girly' music... sorry if that came across as sexist. but musically, a lot of the guitar riffs have this introspective, lonely quality that's straight off a long drive.
innocentbystander

Postby shimasounds » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:25 am

have you tried the pixies? their first ep and album are very similar to long drive in the raw vocal sense, and the rest of their albums are more like lonesome. pretty sure isaac has gone on record as saying that he has ripped a lot of stuff off from the pixies.

I adore Pixies, but actually haven't listened to their first EP before! I've been jamming out to Doolittle and Surfer Rosa for years but haven't ever listened to the first EP. Will certainly check that out...

Built to Spill is a bit of a different story, I've really only scraped the surface of that band. Keep it like a Secret was in my car for a long, long time. That's really about it with them. I'll check out a few of their other albums.

a comparison i make that nobody seems to believe is to rilo kiley's first album, take-offs and landings. lyrically it's quite different, about lost love and all that stuff. similar to death cab for cutie. it has this dark tone that you don't find in a lot of 'girly' music... sorry if that came across as sexist. but musically, a lot of the guitar riffs have this introspective, lonely quality that's straight off a long drive.

Now this... this is completely new to me. I've never even heard of Rilo Kiley, but will certainly find a way to get my hands on that first album. Thanks both of you for the suggestions!
shimasounds

Postby Gregg » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:40 am

Pixies are the obvious choice. Stuff that I think sounds similar to early Modest Mouse:

Halo Benders (Calvin Johnson and Doug Martsch)

Archers Of Loaf

Les Savy Fav (maybe not vocally, but musically I think their stuff is similar, I only have two albums though)

And while I've never gotten in to them, apparently Lync is also similar, and I have heard that Isaac toured with them once back in the 90s.
Gregg
Site Admin

Postby Gregg » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:57 am

Ogre You Asshole is another one that now comes to mind:

Eric Judy gave them their name and I think they may have opened for Modest Mouse on one Japanese tour.

(I'm allowed to double post)
Gregg
Site Admin

Postby divegator » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:04 am

Yeah, definitely listen to Come On Pilgrim by the Pixies (and everything they've done for that matter) and Perfect From Now On by Built to Spill.

This may seem weird, but something about Isaac's snakier guitar riffs always reminds me of the guitar style in the Meat Puppets' early recordings. Check out Meat Puppets II and Up On the Sun. The vocals are a little hard to look past sometimes, but musically they're absolutely amazing, especially since they were released in the mid-80s.
My heart is broke
but I have some glue.
Help me inhale
and mend it with you.
divegator

Postby BackwardsMaker » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:16 am

Some (a lot) of 764-HERO's music sounds like early to mid MM stuff. They actually toured together for a while, and they made an EP together - Whenever You See Fit. A lot of people act as if 764-HERO basically copied MM and BTS, and while they certainly have a lot of similarities, there's also a lot that's unique about them. Modest Mouse and 764-HERO got into the business at about the same time, so it's likely they were influential to each other.
BackwardsMaker

Postby Chief Tragedy » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:53 am

A friend of mine showed me this band, She knew Id like it cause of their heavy Modest Mouse influence lol... Its called "Driftless Pony Club". The video is pretty corny/low quality but its funny and still awesome.

Go reckless unharmed,
Yep, the shut-ins they're well armed!
Well we all led the charge,
`Til we ran aground in our party barge.

And every little gift was just one more part of their grift,
Oh yeah we know it!

[Night On The Sun // NOTS Facebook]
Chief Tragedy

Postby turnyourgunsaround » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:29 am

shimasounds wrote:Built to Spill is a bit of a different story, I've really only scraped the surface of that band. Keep it like a Secret was in my car for a long, long time. That's really about it with them. I'll check out a few of their other albums.

You really won't regret it...looking into them more. I held off with them for so long before they became one of my all time favorites.

and to put it short, I can't really think of a band that captured the same thing Modest Mouse did at that time. I guess that's what makes them all the more special, don'tcha think? : ) I mean, there are bands that have qualities of it, but not the same particular style.

What comes to mind is Elliott Smith and the backing vocals thing/overdub with voices. I think that's a characteristic that they both share. I'd recommend Elliott's self titled if you don't have it already (I guess that's highly unlikely lol)

and if you want original lyrics, please do yourself a favor and get into The Silver Jews. They're a perfect band to me. It's very unconventional. David Berman can't sing well but he has a knack for being the best lyricist I've heard (with Isaac tied for #1 of course haha). Just amazing lo-fi music. If "How To Rent A Room" isn't the best song ever, I don't know what is.

Sorry I can't give you a band that sounds just like it. It's just the characteristics I hear that dates back to certain bands.

Oh I forgot to mention... that Driftless Pony Club with Wheezy Waiter (the youtuber)...one of the best people on the internet, no doubt. Can't quite get into their music as much, but they're surely inspired by MM.
turnyourgunsaround

Postby ThomasJacobReich » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:03 pm

Whenever I tried comparing Built to Spill and Modest Mouse I had problems seeing the similarities, and a few months ago I owned four of their tracks which I had handpicked off a single album, and I only listened to them occasionally. Then I got an itunes giftcards from someone and bought Keep It Like A Secret, and that album did it. I got Perfect From Now On shortly after, and mostly handpicked favorites from other albums, though I plan on filling them out later on.

Listening to them was similar to Modest Mouse, in that it took me a while to realize how good they were. I kept listening to Modest Mouse when I first moved backward from Good News (where I found them), but I wasn't totally sure if I even liked it, and eventually I realized I was hooked. Built to Spill sounds significantly different because the vocals are so different, and typically the guitars are a bit different, but I love both them and Modest Mouse, and I agree that if you like one you will probably like the other.

I'm not sure Elliott Smith is terribly similar musically, but since the above poster brought him up... He's also one of my favorite musicians. Modest Mouse, Built to Spill, Elliott Smith, then maybe Radiohead would be my top four. I wouldn't really say any of them sound much like the first two MM albums, and I'm not sure much ever will, as part of what makes Modest Mouse Modest Mouse is Brock's voice, but Modest Mouse is far and away my favorite band, but these others all get their turns, if that's worth anything.
ThomasJacobReich

Postby innocentbystander » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:27 am

Built to Spill is easier to listen to, partially because Doug Martsch is just a better guitarist than Isaac, and their songs are more melodic.
But Isaac writes better lyrics. And is more of an interesting person.
innocentbystander

Postby BackwardsMaker » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:18 am

I wouldn't say Doug Marsh is a better guitarist. Technically he's more skilled, but in some cases I think Isaac is more inventive. In any case, I think it's dumb to compare them because they do different (though somewhat similar) things with music.
BackwardsMaker

Postby innocentbystander » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:30 pm

In general I like Built to Spill's melodies better than Modest Mouse's but it is definitely a matter of opinion.
Also, I've listened to most of Built to Spill and I have to say that even after repeated listens, There Is No Enemy is still terrific, something no one really expected when it came out. Especially because You In Reverse is kind of bad.
innocentbystander

Postby turnyourgunsaround » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:56 pm

innocentbystander wrote:Especially because You In Reverse is kind of bad.

:o
I thought the same thing at first but there are some true gems on that album. But Built to Spill's most perfectly catchy album is definitely There Is Nothing Wrong With Love. and their first album called Ultimate Alternative Wavers is amazing as well, and often overlooked.

I'd say BTS and MM are both in the same sort of vein, but not necessarily exact replicas of each other, which would be really boring.
turnyourgunsaround

Next

Return to Other Music