any I-8'rs going to Built to Spill this week?

Share your musical interests by discussing other artists you're listening to.

any I-8'rs going to Built to Spill this week?

Postby jplan74 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:55 pm

hey gang,

there was a thread about this that got wiped... anyone going this week? I'll be the Hamden CT show tomorrow and Irving Plaza Thursday! about to lose it!!!
jplan74

Re: any I-8'rs going to Built to Spill this week?

Postby MajinTrunkz » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:46 am

Not this week but I did see them in Charleston last week! It was my 4th time seeing them and they have yet to disappoint. The highlight of the show was probably their cover of "(Don't Fear) The Reaper" with members from the two opening bands playing the cowbell part. I recorded the show but unfortunately Doug's vocals get drowned out by the music so it's not really worth sharing. :\
MajinTrunkz

Postby jplan74 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:04 pm

nice! but yeah that's always the risk with BtS, i've heard a lot of recordings where his vocals are non-existant. However, Tuesday night in Hamden, CT, was such a small venue his vox were booming. I didn't see anyone recording though.

highlight was meeting Doug and shaking his hand, ON STAGE, as he broke down his rig. lowlight was not getting the pic from the people who took it for me (i have an old shitty phone). Still, amazing night, Kicked it in the Sun & Untrustable were my musical highlights.

Setlist:

Living Zoo
Goin' Against Your Mind
Reasons
Untrustable/Part 2 (About Someone Else)
Jokerman
(Bob Dylan cover)
Mess With Time
Else
Strange
They Got Away
Joyride
Kicked It in the Sun
The First Song
Carry the Zero
Wherever You Go

Encore:
Big Dipper
Age of Consent
(New Order cover)
Car
Sister Ray
(The Velvet Underground cover)
jplan74

Postby Idioteque » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:58 pm

I saw them in Philly last Saturday, and once again yesterday at Irving Plaza. Both times I shook hands with Doug and got to speak with him about music, such a cool dude. He even signed my copies of TNWwL and took a picture with me. I have never met such a humble guy before. :D

Also, am I the only one who preferred Slam Dunk over The Warm Hair by a lot? I met Slam Dunk and they were very cool, but every time I saw The Warm Hair the lead signer was really drunk.
Idioteque

Postby jplan74 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:47 pm

Irving Plaza was sick! and the lady who took the pic has since sent it to me! Yeah Doug is so humble, he could care less that a room full of people were going nuts over him last night! haha

finally got my Hurt a Fly... and Velvet Waltz kicked ass too! Man, i wish i was going to the 3 night NYE run in Portland! aaagh

Built to Spill, 11.7.13 Irving Plaza:

Goin' Against Your Mind
Center of the Universe
In The Morning
Reasons
Get a Life
Living Zoo
Strange
Velvet Waltz
Abba Zaba
(Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band cover)
Fly Around My Pretty Little Miss
Carry the Zero
I Would Hurt a Fly

Encore:
(Don't Fear) The Reaper
(Blue Öyster Cult cover)
How Soon Is Now?
(The Smiths cover)
Car
jplan74

Postby MajinTrunkz » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:20 am

Idioteque wrote:Also, am I the only one who preferred Slam Dunk over The Warm Hair by a lot? I met Slam Dunk and they were very cool, but every time I saw The Warm Hair the lead signer was really drunk.

The Warm Hair didn't play the show I was at, there was another opener called Genders who were awesome. Slam Dunk was there too, and I liked them but not as much as Genders. The lead singer seemed like a fun guy though; while BtS played "(Don't Fear) The Reaper" he did a stage dive after throwing a roll of toilet paper into the crowd.

Also, another interesting note I forgot to mention before: at the beginning of Built to Spill's set, they had to restart "Center of the Universe" twice because Doug couldn't remember how to play the intro. It was kind of funny because both times he messed up, he just kind of stopped playing and stood there with a look of defeat as he waited for the band to stop, haha. After the second mess-up he asked for "one more try" and they played song perfectly. I really hope they get a new album out in the next year or so and do another tour.
MajinTrunkz

Postby LongDriveInAcar » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:50 am

Yeah, I went on the ninth in Ithaca. Great setlist, I even talked to Doug a bit! And I also perfered Slam Dunk very much over the warm hair. ... anyways, hell of an experience.

Would love to see them again!
LongDriveInAcar

Postby LongDriveInAcar » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:52 am

Also, Carry the Zero and Big dipper were insane.
LongDriveInAcar

Postby jplan74 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:29 pm

I could not have been more impressed by them as a band. New rhythm section is tight.
jplan74

Return to Other Music