Favorite Moment/Line from a Modest Mouse song?

What do the songs mean to you? Modest Mouse's lyrics and interpretations here.

Re: Favorite Moment/Line from a Modest Mouse song?

Postby Funkpolice911 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:36 am

It takes along time but god dies too, but not before he sticks it to you
Funkpolice911

Postby atno000 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:43 pm

The drum bit in Beta Carotene that starts at 7:15.
Beta Carotene in general; "I never feel I'm somewhere, don't you know?"

The "bun-dun-dun-dun-DUN-DUN-DUN-dun" bassline in Doin' The Cockroach.
When Doin' The Cockroach freaks out.
"Late last winter down below the equator they had a summer that would make you blister"

When Isaac screams "OH MY GOD DAMN" at the end of Teeth Like God's Shoeshine.

Trucker's Atlas as a whole (dem intro drums, dat chrous)

The end of the Parlor Tricks version of You're The Good Things

Invisible in general. "I like the saline tea" and such.

The last 30 seconds of The Stars Are Projectors.
"Where do circles begin?"

It's so hard to put into words, haha.
atno000

Postby jplan74 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:54 pm

I gotta give 3 because for me it truly is a dead even tie

1) the opening guitar of 3rd Planet (chills every time)

2) the slow-down in Lives where he sings, "My hell comes from inside, comes from inside myself. Why fight this?" (as an anxiety sufferer this line has probably saved my life)

3) the built in silence in Blue Cadet-3... i imagine Brock calling out to his dad and then radio silence OR an astronaut alone in space, drifting, hoping someone answers...
jplan74

Postby Prez347 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:50 am

Im not sure if these are my absolute favorites, but these are off the top of my head (no particular order):

1) "OOOHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOSE" from Talkin Shit

2) The guitar at the very beginning of "Stars Are Projectors"

3) The "message read on the bathroom wall" part of "Custom Concern"

4) Mechanical Birds in its entirety. I absolutely love the guitar (?) that makes that weird sound

5. "I AM MY OWN DAMN GOD! AHAHAHAHAHA." From the end of "This Devils Workday"

6) The transition from Perfect Disguise to Tiny Cities.

I could go on to 100 but ill stop there :lol:
Prez347

Postby Benenov » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:03 am

In Teeth Like Gods Shoeshine about 3 minutes in when it kicks into high gear:

"Take 'em all for the long ride
and you'll go around town
no one wants to be uptight anymore
You can be ashamed
or be so proud of what you've done
but not no one, not now, not ever or anyone
take 'em all for the sense of happiness
that comes from hurting deep down inside"

Chills every single time.
Benenov

Postby TinyLaugh » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:45 am

Currently it's :
"Just like being my own solar system/doing good things, but then totally eclipse them..."
i am doing the best that i can
TinyLaugh

Postby Leanne » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:46 pm

There are several but I will name a few:

** The hand claps in Parting of the Sensory in the middle part of the song....and then after the hand claps, the song comes back together again.

** Isaac moaning and saying 'Shit' in Tundra/Desert

**When the drums come in on Syrofoam Boots

**I'm trying to drink away the part of the day that I cannot sleep away

**The bass line and Isaac ranting at the end of King Rat. "What do you have to say for yourself"
Leanne

Postby komai » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:14 am

"Everytime you think you're walking you're just moving the ground. Every time you think you're talking you're just moving your mouth. Every time you think you're looking, you're just LOOKING DOWN!
Last edited by komai on Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
komai

Postby roundthing » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:28 am

you're hopelessly hopeless i hope some for you
roundthing

Postby ModestJF » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:41 am

So many good posts on here. Modest Mouse is lyrically untouchable to me, they are amazing. That being said there so many lines I love it's impossible to pick.

I'll post this one though since I'm listening to it right now:

And you think you feel most everything
And we know that our hearts are just made out of strings
To be pulled, strings to be pulled
So you think you've figured out everything
But we know that our minds are just made out of strings
To be pulled, strings to be pulled
ModestJF

Postby thingsidontremember_ » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:37 pm

the middle part of "Lives" has always been one of my favorites. it is just so beautiful, and given the situation i grew up in and the anxiety that it produced lead to that song saving my life when I was younger.

but then again, i feel that every song they have written has spoken to me throughout my life and taught me how to deal with one situation or another.
thingsidontremember_

Postby xxxrootbeer » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:08 am

Awesome replies here.
I am obviously a huge fan and inspired by isaac brock's lyrics. I love when he's waxing philosophically, or when he's just being nakedly honest. These are some of my favorites because of their particular meaning to me I guess.
From Life like Weeds: "In this life like weeds, eyes need us to see, hearts need us to bleed, in this life like weeds" - I struggle with the fear of the overall meaninglessness of life, and although people could see isaac as a cynical bastard on first glance these lines to me are some of the most optimistic I've ever read. To me, it says that the body and the mind, conscious, dare I even say soul? are symbiotic in nature. That without our conscious our bodies have little meaning to our existence. They're just a pile of flesh and organs that would sit idle without us to give them life. It helps me because sometimes I think that we're just flesh and organs but then I realize that we have to be more because we give life to our body as our body gives life to us. Sorry about the long explanation but I try explaining that to other non-modest mouse fans as my favorite lyric of all time perhaps, and they just don't get why so I was hoping to explain to you like-minded fans :).
From Parting of the Sensory: "Someday you will die and somehow something's going to steal your carbon" It just shows once again to me, that we are all interconnected and that there's a very cyclical nature about our relation to our planet and on a larger scale our universe. Amazing.
Those are my favorite philosophical lyrics but of course I could go on as I find Isaac to be a brilliant observer of life in general.
Here's some of my favorite candid lines.
From Baby Blue Sedan "And it's hard to be a human being, and it's harder as anything else, and I'm lonesome when you're around, and I'm never lonesome when I'm by myself. And I miss you when you're around." < It makes you think that if you weren't around people to know what lonesome was, would you be lonesome? Also the missing you part is particularly affecting to me because generally that's how I feel I miss someone when they are around because everything is temporary and I know moments are fleeting in general.
From Talking Shit About A Pretty Sunset
"Looking kinda anxious cross-armed in a stance like a bad-tempered prom-queen at a homecoming dance, and I claim I'm not excited with my life anymore so I blame this town, this job, these friends, the truth is it's myself, I'm trying to understand myself and pin-point who I am, when I finally get it figured out I've changed the whole damn plan" < Very honest lyric that makes me look inside myself when I complain about my life and realize I could change it but I'm always lost in general in myself and my environment and it's my fault.
From Edit the Sad Parts: "Sometimes all I really wanna feel is love, Sometimes I'm angry that I feel so angry, Sometimes my feelings get in the way of what I really feel I needed to say" < Isaac has a way about being confessional in his lyrics that I relate to like no other. It feels so painfully honest to say "Sometimes I feel so angry that I feel so angry" Cause honestly I do get angry about being angry, angry about being depressed and just being a sad-sack in general because honestly life is what you make of it and it's short enough that you might as well not wallow in your shittiness

Sorry very long-winded, been meaning to join this site for a while and talk to some people that "get" what I get musically from Modest Mouse. :)
xxxrootbeer

Postby 5th Amendment » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:24 pm

Today it's "the people you love but you didn't quite know" - people as places as people. I just found a live version of it in another string from a 2006 show and cannot stop hitting the play button. Thanks for that link. It has been the highlight of my day.
5th Amendment

Postby Rockoabrahamsen » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:02 pm

I just find myself smiling and singing these songs in my head as I'm reading its good knowing people actually like good music. I find myself stuck around a bunch of people who don't look for good music. Instead they choose this garbage on the radio
Rockoabrahamsen

Postby Rockoabrahamsen » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:05 pm

All of building nothing out of something
Rockoabrahamsen

PreviousNext

Return to Words & Music