WWDBTSES song elimination: Round 9

What do the songs mean to you? Modest Mouse's lyrics and interpretations here.

Eliminate

Poll ended at Fri May 29, 2015 10:04 pm

March Into The Sea
4%
Parting Of The Sensory
4%
Little Motel
29%
Spitting Venom
No votes
People As Places As People
13%
Invisible
50%

Total votes : 24

WWDBTSES song elimination: Round 9

Postby Gregg » Wed May 27, 2015 10:04 pm

No one felt like they had anything to say last round re "Fly". "Dashboard" now gone. People know I don't like this one. I don't think it's a terrible song, it's not even my least favourite Modest Mouse song, there's just something about it that leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Maybe you'd be surprised to know I haven't been voting for it most of the time, which surprised me as well. There are actually other songs on this album, that I'd rather listen to less. WWD has been an interesting experience to revisit. When it first came out I thought it was better than Good News (I don't think I was the only one), yet within a year I was barely listening to it.

We talk a lot about the different eras of Modest Mouse. The pre and post M&A, with M&A itself being it's own kind of beast. A lot of pre people hate the post stuff, a lot of post people defend the post stuff. I got in to MM on the fence with M&A, and I struggle to pick a fav album between that one and LCW. The band def did get poppier, but my point with this long story, is that revisiting WWD actually makes me appreciate a lot of the songs on Good News more. To the point where that fence album gets blurred a little. It's not that I hate WWD, I guess it just didn't age well to me, and it comes back to "Dashboard" being the start of all of that. If you get what I mean. Sorry, long off the topic story. I think the age you are when albums come out have a lot to do with your response to that album. I don't want to keep rambling, so I'll end this here. A conversation for a different place.

Results:

7. Dashboard
8. Fly Trapped In A Jar
9. Missed The Boat
10. Florida
11. Education
12. Steam Engenius
13. We've Got Everything
14. Fire It Up

The rules:

1. You are voting for the song you like / listen to the least on the album.
2. You have 48 hours to cast your vote for a song. You can change you vote at any point during those 48 hours.
3. In the event of a tie, there will be a special tie breaker round between those songs over 24 hours. In the event that the tie breaker round ends in a tie, we will just end the round as such.
4. In the final round you are voting for the song you like / listen to the most on the album.
Gregg
Site Admin

Re: WWDBTSES song elimination: Round 9

Postby Kdonlon » Wed May 27, 2015 10:22 pm

I agree Gregg. Also, Strangers to Ourselves for some reason has given me a more sour taste in my mouth in regards to WWD.

Not that Strangers is by any means a revert to old MM, but it certainly makes WWD stand out alone as the chaotic-extemely-produced (to me over-produced) record of theirs. WWD IMO did give us 4-5 great tracks (to me Education being one of them, the rest are all alive still in this poll), but I do not see myself really ever playing this full-through again.

It also seems that the voting has gone down a bit more this record, but I am curious if this is because it is WWD? I am interested to see how people vote on Long Drive, LCW, and M&A if we do those. Should we continue, I'd rather start with those records and work our way to the "new MM", before people lose interest in the polls altogether, but those are just my opinions.
Kdonlon

Postby bneiluj » Thu May 28, 2015 12:50 am

I enter just when Good News was released and although my favorite albums are LCW and M&A I really like thet last 3. The only release I don't dig so much is No one first (except Whale Song and King Rat of course)

We we're dead is still a bit long to me but i really enjoy most of the tracks... Invisible and Fly Trapped both being in the top 4 for me...
bneiluj

Postby ScapeGoat94 » Thu May 28, 2015 1:54 am

I respectively would have to disagree, I rank WWD as my second a album after LCW. It plays very well as a whole and created some of their best work in the last decade, almost all of which are still alive in this poll. I also found Johnny Marr and Joe Plummer really added quite a lot. I just dont care for STO all that much. it would be a wonderful album if I could remove 4 or 5 tracks but as a whole its just too fussed over and over produced in my opinion. I, like most everyone else, am most excited to see how people rank M&A and LCW. I'd also like to see BNOOS ranked as that would be my second or third favorite album of theirs if its considered a studio album.
ScapeGoat94

Postby Shabs42 » Thu May 28, 2015 5:17 am

Agreed that BNOOS should be included. Would probably be #3 for me as well.

People as Places or Invisible are my next two. I think the other four are all really strong. WWD is probably my least favorite full release (other than SSS), but those four along with a couple that have been eliminated are still great songs to me. Just not as consistent of an album overall.

Like others have suggested, if it had King Rat and Whale Song in place of We've Got Everything/Fire it Up, WWD would be right up there with their other work for me.
Shabs42

Return to Words & Music