How I became an obsessed fan

New to Interstate-8.com, the Board or Modest Mouse in general? Introduce yourself here.

How I became an obsessed fan

Postby DressedUpAlligator » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:01 am

Around the age of 13, I was sort of in a "punk rock" "pop punk" whatever horrible phase you want to call it. I specifically remembering hearing "Float On" all over the radio - and naturally, as any rebellious wanna be punk kid would, I hated it. Around the age of 15, I discovered the band Taking Back Sunday's album "Tell All Your Friends" and fell in love with it. More importantly though, Taking Back Sunday led me to discover another band, Brand New. Over time, the band's lead singer, Jesse Lacey, was my idol. I loved (still do) the way he wrote lyrics and the way they put so much emphasis into the way they wrote music. Their focus on instrumentals along with deep lyrical content really made me want to start branching out and listening to more indie sounding music. "The Devil & God Are Raging Inside Me" is still one of my favorite albums. As my obsession with Brand New became stronger, I started listening to the bands that influenced them - Neutral Milk Hotel, and first and foremost, Modest Mouse (Jesse Lacey's cover of "Trailer Trash" is still on youtube, but don't worry, I realize now how it's not even remotely close to how good the original is).

When I first started to get into MM's stuff my junior year of high school (17 at this point), I ironically wasn't attracted to any of their newer material (Good News, We Were Dead)...so where did I begin? I went over to the nearest Best Buy and picked one of their old CD's at random. That CD was "The Lonesome Crowded West", which is to this day, is still my favorite album of all time. That album changed me more than any other - it completely changed everything. The way I listened to music, what bands I listen to now, the way my thought process worked, everything. Isaac Brock took everything I loved about music and made it so so much better. With time, I began to appreciate MM more and more through albums like "The Moon and Antarctica", "This is a Long Drive" and "Building Nothing out of Something" and eventually explored into their newer material. I now think that lyrically, "Float On" is one of the most beautiful out there.

Long story short, Modest Mouse is my favorite band and has been for about 6 years now. Sometimes, for months on end, they're all I can really listen to. I've traveled "too far inside a car" to go see them live in many different states. I deeply appreciate their older material and have grown to love their new stuff too. Anyways, that's who I am and why I am here.
DressedUpAlligator

Re: How I became an obsessed fan

Postby jplan74 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:02 pm

hey great read!

i'll have to check out Brand New, i'm fairly new to all these types of bands too. i grew up on Dinosaur Jr., Sonic Youth and MBV yet somehow MM eluded me until my 30s.

ironically, MM led me to Neutral Milk Hotel, whom i am now obsessed with! MM is definitely my fav of the two but NMH moves me as well. :D

Jay
jplan74

Re: How I became an obsessed fan

Postby glenn.glenn » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:46 am

Modest Mouse - Brand New - Neutral Milk Hotel - Built To Spill - Manchester Orchestra - Kevin Devine - Man Man

That's my iPod right there.
glenn.glenn

Return to Introductions & Welcomes