Oh hiii, yo

New to Interstate-8.com, the Board or Modest Mouse in general? Introduce yourself here.

Oh hiii, yo

Postby badtempered promking » Sun May 06, 2012 8:15 pm

I discovered the Modeth Mouth almost a year and a half ago in a friend's car. She had on Long Drive, and I asked what it was, as it reminded me of early Built to Spill or something. She told me, I instantly fell in love, and obtained all of their LPs, followed shortly by everything else official I could find. Now I'm scrounging around online trying to find every rare thing that doesn't look familiar to me. Before that fateful day in my friend's car, I had really only heard a couple of radio hits, so I was pretty shocked to hear such a different sound from the Float On dudes.

I try and try and try to expand more and more into the indie world, and am all about teh indie and whatnot, but I just can NOT get past anything that isn't Modest Mouse right now. I haven't been this obsessed with a band since I found Radiohead in 2004. I could tell you all the things that absolutely leave me floored by this band, but you have heard them all before, and you all obviously feel the same, otherwise you would not be here right now. Angsty, awkward, squeaky early 90s, to enlightened, growly, dixilandy late '00s, to wherever the hell they seem to be going now - I love everything about Isaac and pals. However, as much as I fucking adore We Were Dead, Johnny Marr's presence on some of the poppier tunes doesn't really do it for me (I still enjoy the songs, but they get skipped half the time). Anyway, I am seeing the Mice for the first time ever this month in Palo Alto, California, and I couldn't be stokeder.

I have been making solo music off and on for about 12 years now, and ever since I wandered into the Mouse hole, myself and others have noticed a vast improvement in my stuff, starting late last year. I don't really sound like them (definitely not trying to), but my music has just a bit more going on to it these days, especially lyrically.

Welp, anywayz, here is my obligatory current ranking of the albums.
* Long Drive / Moon & Ant / Lonesome / We Were Dead / Good News / Sappy
* No One's First / Night on the Sun / Interstate 8 / Fruit Ate

PS: I have been on a quest for about a year now trying to find more bands with a sound very similar to lo-fi early Mouse (Long Drive, Sappy) and early Built To Spill (Nothing Wrong With Love, Ultimate Alternative Wavers). Kind of Pavementy, too, but with a bit more "annoying" vocals ;) Can anyone recommend some bands? I recently discovered this group of young nobodies on BandCamp.com who call themselves, Clarissa Explains It All. Check em out! That's kind of what I'm talking about, but I'd like a band even more "jammier" and "proggier".
Thanks, dudes.
badtempered promking

Re: Oh hiii, yo

Postby Ash Hol » Tue May 08, 2012 2:34 am

Wellll...they aren't indie but they are interesting with annoying vocals: Thee Silver Mt Zion. It's a stretch but try them out. Songs: 1,000,000 died to make this sound. god bless our dead marines. there is a light
Ash Hol

Return to Introductions & Welcomes