Intro from the gal that helped debut "Lampshades on Fire"

New to Interstate-8.com, the Board or Modest Mouse in general? Introduce yourself here.

Intro from the gal that helped debut "Lampshades on Fire"

Postby plasticforks » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:13 am

Hello, Interstate-8ers!

As a longtime lurker (~6 years or so), I thought I'd finally create a username and actively join the conversations here on the Interstate-8 message boards. What better time then now? With Modest Mouse set to return this March with their first full-length release in over 8 years, I am more eager than ever to geek out with other dedicated followers.

I work as a digital producer for The Current, Minnesota Public Radio's member-funded triple A station. I helped Modest Mouse and Epic to premiere "Lampshades on Fire" online on Monday, Dec. 15. A career highlight, no doubt. After the song debuted, the program director of The Current gifted me a test pressing of "Lampshades on Fire" with the printed out message that some of your received just under two weeks ago. Easily the best day of my life.

Here's the link to The Current's "Lampshades on Fire" premiere: http://www.thecurrent.org/feature/2014/12/14/modest-mouse-lampshades-on-fire-song-premiere

A little about me and my Modest Mouse fandom...

Top 5 Modest Mouse Songs

This is really hard. It’s only five songs out of 287305987 for Pete’s sake. But here we go:

"Heart Cooks Brain"
"Lounge (Closing Time)"
"Cowboy Dan"
"Dramamine"
"All Night Diner"

I have collected more than 53% of all Modest Mouse vinyl releases (28/52 releases including original pressings, 7" records, reissues and compilations). It is my goal to own every single Modest Mouse vinyl record ever released. I’ve been collecting since 2004 (when I was 14 years old). I got into Modest Mouse then, a pivotal time in my life. I was definitely “coming of age” as they say and I lost my brother to suicide. Good News for People Who Love Bad News is the record that turned me on to Modest Mouse, but it’s The Lonesome Crowded West and This Is a Long Drive with Nothing to Think About that I dug into shorty thereafter that made the biggest impact on me personally. I have no doubt that those records shaped my worldview and life as I know it today.

I last saw Modest Mouse live at Forest Hills Stadium in August when I flew out to New York for a trip specifically planned around the performance (they played three new songs: “Lampshades on Fire”, “Sugar Boats” and “Shit in Your Cut”). I’ve seen them four other times — twice in Fargo, North Dakota (my hometown) and twice in Minneapolis (my current location).

I have a Modest Mouse tattoo. It's not great, I'll admit. I got it when I was a pretty young. It incorporates components of three different album artworks: the hot balloon with anchor (We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank), a dart (Good News for People Who Love Bad News), and clouds (Building Nothing Out of Something). Like I said, it’s not great. If I ever was fortunate enough to meet Isaac I think I’d be too embarrassed to show him. Wish I would have just gotten the clouds part off of the Building Nothing Out of Something artwork. Whateva.

If you want to know more about me, you know what to do! Feel free to introduce yourselves as well — I’d love to meet ya.

—Leah
plasticforks

Re: Intro from the gal that helped debut "Lampshades on Fire

Postby MajinTrunkz » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:05 am

Welcome to the board! It's really neat that you got to help with the premier of Lampshades, which also means you were probably one of the first ones to hear the studio version of the song. That must have been pretty exciting! Have you been to able to personally speak with any of the band members at all?
MajinTrunkz

Postby plasticforks » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:13 pm

Thank you! I actually didn't hear the studio version until that morning, but two of my bosses heard it that week before when their management stopped by the station. I haven't been in contact with the band directly, only indirectly through management, but I'd love to sit down and chat with 'em – I'm sure a lot of us would.
Last edited by plasticforks on Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
plasticforks

Postby Leanne » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:09 am

Welcome to the board, glad you decided to sign up! Love your Top 5 songs, I think mine changes every day!
Leanne

Return to Introductions & Welcomes