Possible documentary coming

Modest Mouse news & rumors.

Re: Possible documentary coming

Postby before2000 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:54 pm

goinunion wrote:Anyone else think this is promotion for a new album? Wouldn't surprise me a bit if they release this, get buzz going, play several more new songs on that mini tour, then make an announcement.

I agree. Except I think it'll get them to realize that people really are wanting more. People will start to care and they'll notice.

And I just had a thought that if and when they do put out a new album, I think it'll be something along the lines of the color orange.. Sorry for the random thought.
before2000

Postby divegator » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:04 am

The doc is up on pitchfork.com

I really enjoyed it. There was a good amount of new background information on some of the songs. For instance, I had no idea Dann wrote the guitar on Bankrupt on Selling.
My heart is broke
but I have some glue.
Help me inhale
and mend it with you.
divegator

Postby MajinTrunkz » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:29 am

Yeah, the documentary is great. They interview pretty much everybody involved with the record, and talk about some songs specifically (Trailer Trash, Bankrupt on Selling, Trucker's Atlas, Teeth Like God's Shoeshine, Doin' the Cockroach, and Cowboy Dan). It's cool to see them use footage from shows that have been going around the Internet and bootleg circles for a while now. Just goes to show how fans help create the history of a band.
MajinTrunkz

Postby Luke » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:47 am

Yeah I really enjoyed it. Neat to see Isaac shed a tiny bit of light on some of his lyrics, hardly ever hear him talk about what he's written. No mention of a new album but I can't say I was expecting that. Got me pumped for these shows coming up!
Luke

Postby Swedgin » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:02 am

MajinTrunkz wrote: It's cool to see them use footage from shows that have been going around the Internet and bootleg circles for a while now. Just goes to show how fans help create the history of a band.

Indeed! they contacted me a few weeks ago wanting to use the 1997 footage from Knoxville. They even offered to pay me for it!

very PRO!
Swedgin

Postby MajinTrunkz » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:28 pm

That's pretty awesome. I really liked the bit where they synced up your footage with the studio version of "Doin' the Cockroach."
MajinTrunkz

Postby Dani » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:02 pm

I loved watching it!! And I'm happy that we have the first "real" Modest Mouse documentary with Interviews and stuff. And all the old pictures... oh my god so awesome :mrgreen:
Anyone can rip it please? I would love you forever!!
Daydreaming Disaster
Dani

Postby President of Antarctica » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:38 pm

That was great! I too am now pumped and refreshed! This documentary right before the summer tour has me positive they are about to announce something. So many great parts from this doc, I love that they interviewed so many people involved with an album with some considerable mileage on it. Isaac really loved that old van. And we also know now that the Live in Sunburst recordings are the demos originally for Sub Pop.
President of Antarctica

Postby Leanne » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:44 pm

It was fantastic. Its really hard to pick a favorite part because all of it was great. And its was REALLY good seeing Eric and all 3 band members (well 4 including Dan) take part in it. The pictures and videos in it were awesome. I'll probably be watching it again later!
Leanne

Postby sdgriffi » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:54 am

Maybe they are putting on this little documentary for the possible reissue that they have been talking about for some time. Not a new album but ive been wanting to get my hands on a new lonesome crowded west
sdgriffi

Postby innocentbystander » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:38 am

That was really great! I hope they make one for Moon and Antarctica eventually... The bits of stock footage of people and animals synced up with the lyrics rang a bit cheesy to me though.
innocentbystander

Postby Ash Hol » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:23 am

Modest Mouse now in my life is a band I every once in a while go back to and listen. My musical horizon has drastically expanded. I used to listen to just Linkin Park and Gorillaz. Then Modest Mouse came along and I was blown away by them. Obviously I grew a sort of obcession, hence why I'm on a forum. But after that I started to get into Post Rock (maybe thanks to Red Stars Theory...but I'm not really sure). I got into Ambient, Electronica, Math Rock, and recently into more electronic genres like Dubstep (though I think 99% of dubstep artists are terrible), drumstep, dubstyle, chillstep, DnB. All during this expansion I would have a day that would listen to just Modest Mouse, but not anywhere as much as I used to. I think I do it as to not ruin my feel of it. Everytime I go back and listen to this stuff I think "This band.....is truly brilliant."

This documentary made me think that the band is even more brilliant than I previously thought, and I thought that they are the most brilliant band out there. Actually hearing what the band had to do to get to where they are now is amazing. The inspiration behind the songs, really brought up my view of them. Kudos for the great documentary Pitchfork!
Ash Hol

Postby jplan74 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:06 pm

this was a great listen/watch! I like that all three of them spoke a lot and my favorite part of a band is learning the early history, especially as someone who tried my hand at "the life" and didnt quite make it.

i wont spoil anything but i think IB's last line nailed it! haha, love how down to earth he is despite what a whirlwind his life has been!
jplan74

Postby Leanne » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:28 am

jplan74 wrote:
i wont spoil anything but i think IB's last line nailed it! haha, love how down to earth he is despite what a whirlwind his life has been!

I loved the last line, I started laughing when he said it.
Leanne

Postby atno000 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:52 am

Has anyone ripped this yet? I'd like a copy to watch on my PS3 whenever I'd like.
atno000

PreviousNext

Return to News