Possible documentary coming

Modest Mouse news & rumors.

Re: Possible documentary coming

Postby Zack_of_Steel » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:43 am

atno000 wrote:Has anyone ripped this yet? I'd like a copy to watch on my PS3 whenever I'd like.

I'm going to give it a shot.
Zack_of_Steel

Postby MajinTrunkz » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:55 am

atno000 wrote:Has anyone ripped this yet? I'd like a copy to watch on my PS3 whenever I'd like.

I tried, but to no avail. It's not as easy as ripping a YouTube video or something like that, unfortunately. Hopefully someone else will figure it out.

And I'm also with those who said they loved Isaac's last line in the film. It's great to know he's able to make fun of himself and his lisp. I also really liked what he said about being more comfortable playing with no pants than singing without a guitar. I totally understand where he's coming from there.
MajinTrunkz

Postby MajinTrunkz » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:12 pm

Double post, but whatever.

So I've just had an AMAZING (okay not that amazing) revelation thanks to this documentary. Phil Ek talks about how the band redid 3 songs with him, Doin' the Cockroach, Teeth Like God's Shoeshine, and Cowboy Dan. He mentions that he's never actually heard the original recordings, but I think we have. Those of us who have the LCW "demos" anyway. They talk about how they didn't really do demos for the album, and just went straight to recording, so what I think we have are just the rough recordings that eventually became the album, along with the original recordings of those 3 tracks. If you listen to them, those 3 are really the only ones that differ significantly from the album versions. This would also explain the violin and backup singing by Nicole Johnson on "Cowboy Dan" in the demo version (which aren't on the final album) -- it's likely either Phil Ek didn't want them when they redid the songs, or Nicole and the violinist weren't available when they did the recordings.

Don't know about you guys, but I thought that was pretty neat.

Edit: Just realized "Teeth Like God's Shoeshine" isn't included in the demos, so I guess we haven't heard the original of that one. Cockroach and Cowboy Dan are definitely different versions from the final album though.
MajinTrunkz

Postby jplan74 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:29 pm

MajinTrunkz wrote:
atno000 wrote:I also really liked what he said about being more comfortable playing with no pants than singing without a guitar. I totally understand where he's coming from there.

i could not agree more! i always hate when people say "oh you're a musician, sing something" like when i'm just standing on line or something. i am a guitarist who sings not vice versa and so ya, agreed haha
jplan74

Postby NovocainHurricane » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:27 am

Some kind soul has figured out how to rip it and they posted it onto youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-Mz2uwj0r0

Much easier to download now for all those interested.
Heavier than Moses.
NovocainHurricane

Postby monkey2000 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:31 am

sdgriffi wrote:Maybe they are putting on this little documentary for the possible reissue that they have been talking about for some time. Not a new album but ive been wanting to get my hands on a new lonesome crowded west

This seems likely, Calvin also mentioned it being reissued on Glacial Pace: link
monkey2000

Postby TinyLaugh » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:42 am

Finally got around to watching this-- SO GOOD!! I hope they do another Modest Mouse album documentary soon... Any album, doesn't matter!
i am doing the best that i can
TinyLaugh

Postby atno000 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:23 am

I'm so glad I watched this, and got turned onto Lync, Kicking Giant and Unwound by it. Especially Lync. God damn. Such good music.
atno000

Postby Pancakes=D » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:20 pm

Hmmm, that video seems to have been removed by the user, how sad. :c
I hope you know that this will go down on your permanent record.
Pancakes=D

Postby onewarmslime » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:26 am

Check out the rest of his videos, he has a video with a link to the documentary.
onewarmslime

Postby MissGubrielle » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:31 am

So exciting! As much as i love hearing about new stuff like this- the anticipation kills me!!! Just like waiting for this rumored 2014 album to come out.
MissGubrielle

Previous

Return to News