next album?

Modest Mouse news & rumors.

next album?

Postby sunspots » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:12 pm

Well, It's been quite a while since any Albums have been released, and judging by the few interviews I've heard recently, it seems like it's not going anywhere very quickly, though I'm pretty sure they're going to start making some stuff after touring. What do you think/know?
ohno I donunderstan
sunspots

Re: next album?

Postby Ash Hol » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:20 am

Interviews? I haven't heard anything...anywhere. So it sounds like they aren't doing much but touring. Though I didn't even know they were still touring heh. Outta the loop I suppose
Ash Hol

Postby Dani » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:47 am

sunspots wrote:Well, It's been quite a while since any Albums have been released, and judging by the few interviews I've heard recently, it seems like it's not going anywhere very quickly, though I'm pretty sure they're going to start making some stuff after touring. What do you think/know?

Well No One's First was released last year...

Just think about Everywhere and His Nasty Parlour Tricks (a EP, just like No One's first), and then the next album was Good News in 2004. Then We were dead in 2007 = 3 years.

Just give them a break from touring and then we'll see :)
Daydreaming Disaster
Dani

Postby Slackerbitch » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:12 pm

i think this is going to be their longest gap in between albums. i can see them not touring again after the bridge dschool benifit until late 2011 maybe playing a few shows like they did in 2006 and then we'll maybe get a new album in early 2012 (which will be pushed back a few months as usual :lol:). so mid 2012. 5 years :(

hope i'm wrong though.
Slackerbitch

Postby Dying Lobster » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:41 am

Slackerbitch wrote:i think this is going to be their longest gap in between albums. i can see them not touring again after the bridge dschool benifit until late 2011 maybe playing a few shows like they did in 2006 and then we'll maybe get a new album in early 2012 (which will be pushed back a few months as usual :lol:). so mid 2012. 5 years :(

hope i'm wrong though.

I'm anticipating a late summer or winter 2011 release. Of course, we know how terribly awry these things go..so yeah you're probably closer.
Dying Lobster

Postby President of Antarctica » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:02 pm

I'm not sure if this has been posted yet or not but this is an interview Isaac gave recently. He sort of hints at a new album... This is what was said on that front--

As for the future, Brock seems to have the next steps mapped out: "After this tour we're gonna give ourselves six months and we'll have a record," he says. "Of course I did just decide I'm going to New Zealand this winter, so I might have to push that back a bit." Brock continues, "But I like giving myself deadlines to get shit done. I work well under pressure. I don't work much at all without it."

So a late 2011 announcement and an early 2012 release seems like the most likely of scenarios. Why the fuck Brock? They used to dish out material left and right back in the 90s. Five fucking years between albums? They make great records but if they are going to take this much time to write another one I hope its earth-shattering. Pfft.....
President of Antarctica

Postby Dani » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:14 pm

^^ I would like to read the whole interview, not sure if I've read it already. Do you have a link for us?

But why complaining about 5 years? We got the "No One's First.." EP LAST year, with new songs and new videos plus a tour! So... I don't get it.
Daydreaming Disaster
Dani

Postby Dying Lobster » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:07 pm

Yea I'd like to see the whole interview as well.

Anyways, it's a little annoying having this huge stretch with no abundance of material, but I can't say I'm angry or anything.
Dying Lobster

Postby President of Antarctica » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:50 am

Sorry, I forgot to post the link. I guess I'm just anxious for more Mouse! :mrgreen:

http://www.portlandmercury.com/portland ... id=1657289
President of Antarctica

Postby michelle » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:38 pm

Well, that interview is from September 09, so Isaac lied to us. :mrgreen:
michelle

Postby cliona » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:48 pm

ya i have seem to interviews from '09 where he mentions starting workin on stuff and then in pitchfolk in june 2010 he says he been working on stuff for aboth six mounts.

"What are you working on with Modest Mouse?

IB: Songs. That's that.

Pitchfork: Are they going in any particular direction?

IB: I can't say that yet. I can't say that they are. It's pretty early in the game for me to have a clear picture of what we're doing, if it's good or anything. They're going to show up again today, and we'll keep banging our heads on it. It's way too early for me to know what direction this thing is really headed. It's just a bunch of random shit at the moment.

Pitchfork: How long have you been working on the random shit?

IB: About six months. We're not killing ourselves doing it, by any means. We just had the "Hey, we should probably buckle down" conversation last week. We just putz around and smoke a bunch of weed. It's more time spent hanging out than playing music."
cliona

Postby sunspots » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:58 am

Well, I've got a weird feeling, like Good News is like This is a Long Drive, We Were Dead is like The Lonesome Crowded West, and the next album will be like the Moon and Antarctica compared to them. Meaning, I think it will be a sad, inventive, slow album, but I also think it will be the last. Of course, if I was being scientific, it would also be 13 tracks long, and have a purple cover.
ohno I donunderstan
sunspots

Postby President of Antarctica » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:04 am

sunspots wrote:Well, I've got a weird feeling, like Good News is like This is a Long Drive, We Were Dead is like The Lonesome Crowded West, and the next album will be like the Moon and Antarctica compared to them. Meaning, I think it will be a sad, inventive, slow album, but I also think it will be the last. Of course, if I was being scientific, it would also be 13 tracks long, and have a purple cover.

The last? I don't have that feeling. No reason to my knowledge that the next album could be the last. As far as viewing the albums the way you are I dig it. I wouldn't say the next album will be a 'sad' one but I can see how Long Drive and LCW mirror each other in terms of style and production. Moon was almost a complete reinvention. Good News and WWD mirror each other so perhaps the next record will be another revamp. I feel it could be something slower like you said, maybe softer. Stripped down, more acoustic? I know Jim is their touring guitarist but I don't think he is officially a member so he might not take place in the writing of the new material. Uncertain on that assumption.

The latest EP for the most part was more mellow(at least the songs culled from the WWD sessions). Ike also dug his nails back into the Ugly Casanova persona and took a very minimal approach in doing so. But who knows with them?
President of Antarctica

Postby Dying Lobster » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:04 pm

I have no idea what the next album will be like. Regarding Jim though, I don't know if you've listened to his All Smiles stuff, but he's got some pretty good songs. I hope he helps out with writing if it's a full band thing. Unless it's just Jeremy, Isaac, and Eric though, then that'd be cool.
Dying Lobster

Postby Slackerbitch » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:20 pm

i wonder, seeing as how a lot of interviews back in 2008/2009 indicated that a new album was going to be done within 6 months, if maybe a lot of stuff had to be scrapped because of johnny marr leaving?

that pitchfork article from last year almost makes it sound that they were starting again
Slackerbitch

Next

Return to News