Strangers to Ourselves (March 3, 2015)

Modest Mouse news & rumors.

Re: Strangers to Ourselves (March 3, 2015)

Postby ModestJF » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:31 am

I love this album, just as I've loved all of their LPs (including We Were Dead, which for some reason seems to get dismissed by a lot of people). The only song I don't like is Pistol.
ModestJF

Postby Radek » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:56 pm

Wow those performances of The Ground walks and Coyotes at CBS were way better than LOF at the late night show!
Radek

Postby Funkpolice911 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:51 pm

Not sure why we were dead gets bashed so much. It's like brock said, the more complex stuff he writes the more people loathe it. In my opinion and according to the work that they've put out in the past and present, we were dead has been their best album. There are songs on that album that you could ask a professional songwriter to write all over again and he would fail. Also, having johnny marr be in the band was one of the best decisions they have made. That man is a wizard. I don't know if anyone is fimiliar with his two recent solo records, The Messenger and Playland, but they are stunning. There is a lot of Isaacs influence in them which is one of the reasons why I love them so much. And seeing this guy live is incredible, I swear I watched him jump up and down in place like a rabbit, bobing his head, and playing the guitar flawlessly for a minute straight(they were not small jumps). There's no energy like it for a man in his 50's.
There's just no recreating we were dead on Any level, the album to myself is revolutionary.
With Isaac talking about people not liking complex stuff, I just have to wonder if that's why they went for STO. I'm not saying it's not complex because there are some songs on there that are, it just has this more desired emotion that gives a bit of comfort to the listener while keeping songs fairly simple. Pistol is excluded from this although it's a bad ass song. I personally want this second record to sound more complex and crazy. If it's how jaramiah says it is, I'll be happy.
Funkpolice911

Postby Leanne » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:57 pm

Videos from CBS This Morning: Saturday

Lampshades
http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/saturday- ... ampshades/

Coyotes
http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/saturday- ... s-coyotes/

Ground walks
http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/saturday- ... -in-a-box/

EDIT: I'm surprised they aired Ground Walks and not Lampshades, which is fine by me
Leanne

Postby onewarmslime » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:43 pm

Can someone upload these on youtube? Especially Ground walks, cause it's a great performance
onewarmslime

Postby Idioteque » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:17 pm

I just noticed, all of those songs were all recorded at Webster Hall.
Idioteque

Postby Gregg » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:26 pm

Good catch. I was wondering about that, if the performance was pre-recorded. So I guess it was. I'll change the date and venue. To narrow down the date though, do their clothes match any of the two performances? That'll give us a date.
Gregg
Site Admin

Postby Idioteque » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:33 pm

Isaac is wearing the same shirt as the Thursday performance, so I'd say 3/19.
Idioteque

Postby Gregg » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:37 pm

Thanks.
Gregg
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:07 am

Time Walks definitely needs some smoothing out live, the transitions sound pretty rough. But holy shit, the breakdown into the instrumental jam is incredible... really love the ending. I realllllllly want to catch this song live now.
Luke

Postby Mishaps=SinkingShips » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:59 pm

Good God Damn wrote:The album is pretty good, I like it for sure. 8/10.

For the record, I think that WWD was an 8.5, Good News a 9.3, and M&A a 9.0

Good News better than M&A? No comment.
Mishaps=SinkingShips

Postby EdisDead » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:32 pm

I finally had a chance to sit down with Strangers to Ourselves last night...no distractions, just a few good rips and the lights turned low with the lyrics sheets in hand and the headphones on. The true test of any album, my friends.

First - gotta say, they did a great job with the album layout...the planets/moon determine the record side for lyrics. Clever stuff...someone over there deserves a raise and a firm handshake. VERY firm. Too firm, even.

I still feel that the album has a career spanning sound that lends to its cohesion between tracks. Actually, some very nice transitions pop up, my favorite being the shift from 'Coyotes' into 'God is an Indian and You're an Asshole' - bit of a throwback to The Fruit That Ate Itself.

I really love the sound design - spot-on vocal layering, tight guitar work, and a good deal of focus on the percussion. Some damn fine production overall. I actually enjoy 'Pistol...' as well - I know a lot of people are bitter about that one. I'm a huge Ween fan, so it tickled my fancy. A couple of times.

As for the lyrics, the group did an amazing job on this one. I'd put 'em up there with Moon and Antarctica. It's still strangely refreshing to hear Isaac snarl and yelp through songs about man being a monster and having no reason to do the terrible things that it feels necessary to do, for no good reason other than to do them. Killing off the creatures, making bad decisions, and moving along...because, why not? The thoughts/feelings mirror my own, but I'm a generally pissed off person, so maybe it's not for everyone? I dunno. I appreciate that there's a band out there saying it. And you're goddamn right it's Modest Mouse.

Sorry I'm vague and fairly general with this quick review, but I'm at work, and should be working. Meh.

This album has definitely grown on me and I hope it does the same for others.
Last edited by EdisDead on Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
So it goes.
EdisDead

Postby Zack_of_Steel » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:48 am

^Great post.
Zack_of_Steel

Postby Luke » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:47 pm

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/goi ... ?p=BK065-0 Apparently Modest Mouse is releasing an unreleased track for this book. Any ideas what track? If anyone buys the book and gets the cd let us know!
Luke

Postby Leanne » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:15 am

Here's the interview with Isaac from CBS this morning: Saturday edition. At first they just had a 30 second clip and now here's the full interview that was aired on TV

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/a-long-st ... ourselves/
Leanne

PreviousNext

Return to News