Strangers to Ourselves (March 3, 2015)

Modest Mouse news & rumors.

Re: Strangers to Ourselves (March 3, 2015)

Postby onewarmslime » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:41 pm

Good God Damn wrote:The album is pretty good, I like it for sure. 8/10.

For the record, I think that WWD was an 8.5, Good News a 9.3, and M&A a 9.0

Wow. For me and I'm pretty sure for most people WWD was easily their worst work. I don't hate the album, I just never listen to it :P STO is my third favourite afte Long drive and LCW (fourth after Building nothing out of something if you count that in)
Last edited by onewarmslime on Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
onewarmslime

Postby hairofthedog » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:29 pm

LCW new color vinyl. Clear red/clear green. FYE exclusive.

http://www.fye.com/s/product/3899872/
hairofthedog

Postby Idioteque » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:00 pm

So many new variants coming out soon. I'm about to be broke all over again lol.
Idioteque

Postby innocentbystander » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:34 pm

Already sold out? When was it even on sale?

Btw, they just posted this on Facebook:
http://strangers.modestmouse.com/#intro
innocentbystander

Postby Idioteque » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:13 pm

This also just popped up:
http://www.gohastings.com/product/POPMU ... 136257.uts

No info on what color it even is though, I ordered it just in case and will return it if it's a normal pressing.
Idioteque

Postby Gregg » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:34 am

http://www.billboard.com/articles/colum ... portlandia

It sounds like we may never get to hear the Big Boi sessions from April 2011. But what did they sound like?

It's a bit cleaner. Kevin Kendrick -- who used to be in Cameo, the band from the '80s that did "Word Up!" -- came and played piano. I needed some lady background vocals on "Coyotes" and they brought in Debra Killings, who earlier in the day played bass with Bootsy Collins. It was pretty rad but it was really clean and it did sound a little out of place at times.

So this confirms that Coyotes was worked on in those sessions. That video interview from 2012 only hinted at it.
Gregg
Site Admin

Postby vvhydevv » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:01 am

The F Y E one is back up for order for now (snagged it) !! Thought my collection would be up to date now but little did I know this went up as well http://www.newonvinyl.com/nl/modest-mou ... a-ltd.html
M&A on clear and it sold out pretty instantly. I've never not gotten one of these variants yet I'm kinda bummed now that my collections gonna be incomplete. I bet they're gonna have a million variants for BNOS and I8 as well.
vvhydevv

Postby greyiceywater » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:19 am

All these variants are pretty annoying

but dude's got a mortgage
greyiceywater

Postby Kdonlon » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:31 pm

So after my first road trip with STO, I am struck with how there are so many songs that sound like a certain era of MM. And since Isaac is most often introspective and philosophical, certain eras of MM evoke specific feelings, thoughts and ideas of mine, that I had at that time.

Early after the release, there were people on the board here discussing the lack of cohesion. Curious to what their thoughts are now, after repeated listens. But to me, Modest records have a certain vibe/feel to them, where this one has many, yet it totally works here.

Shit In Your Cut is not just an outstanding song, it exudes LCW vibes and brings the corresponding feelings I had at the time of LCW. Of Course We Know, on the other hand, takes me to M&A. Be Brave is so WWD that it honestly SHOULD be on that record, and even Pups to Dust main guitar riff seems like an older cousin of Custom Concern and Long Drive.

I doubt any of this is a conscious effort of Isaac's (band), and not sure if people agree, but on their other records, Heart Cooks Brain for example would have no place on Long Drive. Equally so, Spitting Venom would clash with songs on any other record. It is too early for me to place this album amongst their work, but to me, the record plays out like their entire career and it is an awesome time-traveling journey as an MM nerd, especially last night, when I was on a long drive with nothing to think about.
Kdonlon

Postby Ericgoingcrazy » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:38 pm

I really liked this post, Kdonlon. Thought I'd share !
Ericgoingcrazy

Postby EdisDead » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:52 pm

Kdonlon wrote:So after my first road trip with STO, I am struck with how there are so many songs that sound like a certain era of MM. And since Isaac is most often introspective and philosophical, certain eras of MM evoke specific feelings, thoughts and ideas of mine, that I had at that time.

Early after the release, there were people on the board here discussing the lack of cohesion. Curious to what their thoughts are now, after repeated listens. But to me, Modest records have a certain vibe/feel to them, where this one has many, yet it totally works here.

Shit In Your Cut is not just an outstanding song, it exudes LCW vibes and brings the corresponding feelings I had at the time of LCW. Of Course We Know, on the other hand, takes me to M&A. Be Brave is so WWD that it honestly SHOULD be on that record, and even Pups to Dust main guitar riff seems like an older cousin of Custom Concern and Long Drive.

I doubt any of this is a conscious effort of Isaac's (band), and not sure if people agree, but on their other records, Heart Cooks Brain for example would have no place on Long Drive. Equally so, Spitting Venom would clash with songs on any other record. It is too early for me to place this album amongst their work, but to me, the record plays out like their entire career and it is an awesome time-traveling journey as an MM nerd, especially last night, when I was on a long drive with nothing to think about.

RIGHT ON!

Totally agree with your breakdown - I got the same feeling of walking through the band's back catalog, but getting to hear something completely new. Sort of like Tom Waits' 'Bad As Me'...it plays like a greatest hits, of new material.

I still need to sit down with the lyrics sheet to grasp the overall themes, but like you said, as disjointed as the tracks may seem on the surface, they definitely meld together well as a career retrospective.

Good stuff - can't wait to take it on the road.
So it goes.
EdisDead

Postby calculusman1084 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:38 am

After listening to the whole album probably a hundred times, im still in awe that this band can surprise me. Im in utter disbelief that its this good! Im a huge fan of every single album. but this one is just something else. maybe the wait is what has made it so damn good. all the things about their music that I love is present on this album. from the weird to ethereal, STO has it all. right now im really digging Pups to Dust, Pistol & The Tortoise And The Tourist. but that seems to change every day as I pick up different instrumentation and little flourishes. but again, my favorite band in the entire world has not let me down. I know STO will have its nay-sayers, but for me, its perfect!
calculusman1084

Postby Leanne » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:53 pm

My CD was shipped a little over a week ago and I still haven't received it. I have a tracking number and it hasn't updated since the 15th. Has anybody else not received theirs yet? I'm going to wait until Monday or Tuesday and if I still haven't got it, I'll send them an email
Leanne

Postby The Waydown » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:31 pm

The lampshades on fire video is out.
The Waydown

Postby Zack_of_Steel » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:39 am

calculusman1084 wrote:After listening to the whole album probably a hundred times, im still in awe that this band can surprise me. Im in utter disbelief that its this good! Im a huge fan of every single album. but this one is just something else. maybe the wait is what has made it so damn good. all the things about their music that I love is present on this album. from the weird to ethereal, STO has it all. right now im really digging Pups to Dust, Pistol & The Tortoise And The Tourist. but that seems to change every day as I pick up different instrumentation and little flourishes. but again, my favorite band in the entire world has not let me down. I know STO will have its nay-sayers, but for me, its perfect!

This is exactly how I felt, though I will admit that I wouldn't consider it perfect. Definitely one strong album. Can't wait for part II.
Zack_of_Steel

PreviousNext

Return to News