Postby Bucknuckle » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:44 am

Idioteque wrote:Lampshades source for anyone who wants the mp3:
http://www.91x.com/wp-content/uploads/2 ... n_fire.mp3

Thanks...
FAILING: Find An Important Lesson In Needed Growth
Bucknuckle

Re: Lampshades On Fire 7" Coming Soon!

Postby MajinTrunkz » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:18 am

I actually like the studio version of the song a lot more than I thought I would, though I am disappointed that they cut out that faster bit they play live. Like someone else said, I hope this is just the radio edit and that part is on the album. I also feel like the guitar could be louder in the mix, but overall I really like it.
MajinTrunkz

Postby greyiceywater » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:06 am

There's a higher quality version I got from reddit that sounds a bit better than some of the radio/stream rips floating around.
greyiceywater

Postby onewarmslime » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:41 pm

MajinTrunkz wrote:I actually like the studio version of the song a lot more than I thought I would, though I am disappointed that they cut out that faster bit they play live. Like someone else said, I hope this is just the radio edit and that part is on the album. I also feel like the guitar could be louder in the mix, but overall I really like it.

Unfortunately I don't think they're gonna change the song in the album. Cause I preordered it on itunes [I mean the album] and it actually lets you download 'shades on fire - it's identical to the version released on the radio and youtube. So "tough luck" :(
onewarmslime

Postby President of Antarctica » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:17 am

Five years after No One's First... Eight years(to the month) after We Were Dead... and the first taste of Strangers To Ourselves is bittersweet.

We all heard this song in 2011 and have been hearing it or experiencing it since. I finally got to hear it live just recently at Fun Fun Fun Fest in Austin TX. The song seems complete at this point because its structure is the same on the single and in a live setting so I think this is the track we are going to get on the album. And the song is awesome! Its production is similar to We Were Dead, its instrumentation is on par with that of Dash-board or Missed The Boat and its also the single. As others have suggested, the single doesn't contain the record. I'm loving this song more and more now after spinning it about 20+ times yet I'm hopeful the new LP isn't saturated with pop tunes like Lampshades. The drums are on full attack mode, the bass is in your face, the guitar riffs are eclectic and a tad dark-funk but the part that gives me chills involves Lisa. The violins add a soaring momentum when coupled with the pace of the rhythm and that choir-esque bridge is unlike anything they have done before. The message Isaac is leaving us with is cynical and the delivery is sarcastic: pure Modest Mouse.

With that said I can't wait to hear tracks like Be Brave, Sugar Boats, Shit In Your Cut and any of the new songs. They all have a desperation about them, even the mellow ones like Ansel and Coyotes. The bittersweet sentiment is that I'm ready for a monster of a record and I pray the pop has ceased.
President of Antarctica

Postby Idioteque » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:39 pm

Some fucktard is already trying to sell a test pressing of Lampshades on eBay to make $$$, that's just low.
Idioteque

Postby MajinTrunkz » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:59 am

I'm honestly not surprised at all, but it is a bit disappointing. A part of me also wishes I had to money to buy it from them.
MajinTrunkz

Postby greyiceywater » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:03 pm

So, I was watching their performance in Houston last November and they played an outro for Lampshades that isn't on the single version. It's odd because every other part of the song was exactly how it ended up in the single. Makes me wonder if the album version could actually be about 20 seconds longer or so. It's also possible they just decided to do it for the live show of course.
greyiceywater

Postby schuno » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:52 am

Am I the only one who didn't realize this had been released on vinyl?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lampshades-On-F ... 3aa32199e7

or this best buy exclusive

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MODEST-MOUSE-La ... 4634d4ebe1
schuno

Postby Gregg » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:13 am

schuno wrote:Am I the only one who didn't realize this had been released on vinyl?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lampshades-On-F ... 3aa32199e7

or this best buy exclusive

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MODEST-MOUSE-La ... 4634d4ebe1

I knew record stores started selling the 7"s with preorders. Didn't know about the cd though? And it has Ground Walks as the 2nd track? Must have come out this week.
Gregg
Site Admin

Postby Gregg » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:16 am

Yeah, came out yesterday http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lampshades- ... Id=2528047

$2? Is this only for sale if you preorder the album? Kind of like that 3 track WWD sampler?
Gregg
Site Admin

Postby Idioteque » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:20 am

I bought a 7" off eBay for $8 a few weeks ago just in case the free one from GP is colored.

As for the CD, I went and bought one from Best Buy earlier today for $2. You don't have to pre-order the album to get it, it's a standalone single. It also comes with a coupon you can use at Best Buy to get $2 off STO when it comes out.
Idioteque

Postby Gregg » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:25 am

$2 cd single? I haven't bought one in ages, but that sounds cheap.

So is the 7" vinyl a promotional item or not? Or was the Glacial Pace limited pre-order deal, just a limit on free copies, but still available in stores. I was under the impression there were only 2500 7"s, some that went to Glacial Pace and others that went to stores. Now I think I must be wrong, that Glacial Pace got 2500 to give away for free and then an unknown quantity went to stores for regular sale.
Gregg
Site Admin

Postby McWeird007 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:18 pm

I think they might be doing the same thing they did with the other 2 singles recently released alongside the reissues: Limited edition colored run on Glacial Pace, and standard black everywhere else.
"I like the saline tea, but it's true that the moon can pull it back and forth away from me"
McWeird007

PreviousNext

Return to News